U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 02:36 PM

4 posts, read 21,664 times

Advertisements

right now we live in Dutchess county, ny. The taxes and schools are getting worse and we were looking into moving upstate.
We looked at houses in Clifton park and loved everything we saw. the neighborhoods, the school campus, everything.
Now i need to get an honest opinion of it. I have 2 boys 9 and 6 and a girl , 3.
How long is the commute to Albany during rush hour? Is it snobby? I heard of Ballston spa, Guilderland (?), are they nice? And are the winters REALLY that bad?
Thanks for your help!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 05:17 PM

80 posts, read 334,993 times
If you will be commuting to Albany, you should rule out Saratoga County. The rush hour commute is horrendous. You can expect to be in stop and go traffic at least 5 out of your ten trips back and forth each week. The local traffic reports almost always advise of "severe congestion" if not a "dead stop" during rush hour at the twin bridges(which are along the primary route from and to Albany/Saratoga)...and it is only getting worse.

You would be better off with Guilderland (as you mentioned), as well as Bethlehem (which includes Delmar and Slingerlands) Colonie (Latham, Loudonville, Newtonville) and even East/North Greenbush. All excellent school districts without all the hassle.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 PM

As for the winters, I can't imagine they are much worse than you currently experience in Dutchess County. On average maybe a few degrees cooler and slightly more snowfall but, I would imagine, nothing you would not be able to get used to or even notice.

Old 09-01-2008, 05:56 AM

3 posts, read 11,762 times
Clifton Park is a good choice. The commute isn't that bad. It's twelve miles down I-87 , so even at bumper to bumper , how long could it take. I've been in it many times. Shenendehowa is by far the best school district , you pay for it !

Old 09-01-2008, 08:15 AM

585 posts, read 2,061,110 times
It'll probably take you at least 30 minutes to get to Albany from Clifton Park during rush hour, depending on your schedule.

For a bit I drove from Ballston Spa to downtown Albany and it usually took me about 45 minutes if I left early enough...arriving in Albany at about 7 am. If I was running late or there was an accident, it's taken as long as 90 minutes. Now I work in Sch'dy and it's a much easier commute.

We lived in Clifton Park for a few months when we first moved to Upstate. We didn't care for it much. However, we wanted something more than just a suburb.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,845,891 times
I'd rate Clifton Park highly for tight-knit neighborhoods/subdivisions (which can help you assimilate quickly), but very low in terms of "character." No town center, one concentrated commercial district around Exit 9, and lots of 2-lane roads to get just about anywhere.

I would agree with the comments re: commute to Albany...I wouldn't be concerned...however commuting to Niskayuna/Schenectady would be another story with the *&^%$ Rexford bridge bottleneck.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapphom View Post
Clifton Park is a good choice. The commute isn't that bad. It's twelve miles down I-87 , so even at bumper to bumper , how long could it take. I've been in it many times. Shenendehowa is by far the best school district , you pay for it !

I hate to be argumentative but to claim "Shenendehowa is by far the best school district" is definitely a false statement. I agree it probably ranks in the top ten but "by far the best"...you took it a little too far.

A year or so ago Shaker High School, North Colonie School District's high school (Latham, Loundonville, Newtonville, Menands) was ranked one of the top 100 high schools in the country by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Shenendahowa did not make the list. Note, I do not live in the North Colonie School District.

The Capital District Business Review...a well respected publication...recently rated the Niskayuna S.D. as the best in the region. I do not live in Niskayuna either.

I have not read any publications ranking Shenedehowa as the best...and I do keep my eye on these things...

Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 AM

59 posts, read 266,761 times
I would have to agree that the North Colonie and Niskayuna school districts are by far the better schools in the area. I went through the Albany schools and I'm surprised I can type or spell. I currently live in the Menands area, but grew up in the Albany downtown area. In addition to all the above named places, I would also include the Delmar/Bethlehem area. Their schools are good as well, and a very fine close knit area.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 10,908 times
As a Realtor I can recommend Saratoga County highly! Great schools are available, but it also depends on what you are looking for. For instance, if you think you have a child who needs top ranked teams, Schendehowa might be the best choice for you, if you want smaller class sizes, Schuylervliie might appeal, Saratoga has a fantastic music program and a beautiful downtown with lots of arts and the #1 track team in the nation, Ballston Spa schools offer lots of benefits too. I'm just trying to say there is more to it than just rankings. We have several really great choices up here, it depends on your particular needs which one is best for your family. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-07-2008 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: please read the TOS/thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 AM

6,101 posts, read 13,950,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Stephenson View Post
As a Realtor I can recommend Saratoga County highly! Great schools are available, but it also depends on what you are looking for. For instance, if you think you have a child who needs top ranked teams, Schendehowa might be the best choice for you, if you want smaller class sizes, Schuylervliie might appeal, Saratoga has a fantastic music program and a beautiful downtown with lots of arts and the #1 track team in the nation, Ballston Spa schools offer lots of benefits too. I'm just trying to say there is more to it than just rankings. We have several really great choices up here, it depends on your particular needs which one is best for your family. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting
I'm not a realtor but agree about Saratoga and Schuylerville school district. Check out Northunderland, Gansevoort and Schuylerville. Nice family new development is Brampton Woods. I think housing starts around 250K new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area