U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 PM

469 posts, read 1,555,904 times

Advertisements

dont need to know this for myself cause i dont tend on living here but

-is watervliet a good area to live? is it friendly to bisexuals? crime/statistic rates? how are the people? easy to make friends? how suburban or rural is it? anything else would be helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 12:18 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,952,848 times
Yeah I have to concur. It's kinda cute in that you can tell it was really nice in like the 1930s, but it's really run-down now. I don't think anyone actually moves to there.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:23 PM

862 posts, read 913,994 times
Watervilet is just a working class town,no more ,no less.
If you like that,you'll like it.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:07 AM

11,529 posts, read 12,974,542 times
Used to have the reputation in the 90's of being run-down.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM

11 posts, read 41,068 times
Watervliet is run down, there is quite a bit of riff-raff (not unsafe, just poorer families) as it is so cheap. It's definitely working class. Finding "friends" may prove to be difficult- we've lived here for 3 years, have met one couple, and they turned out to be far less than desirable people. The rent is certainly cheap, and as long as you are not on the main drag (ie, price chopper, or dunkin donuts), it is pretty quiet. We pay $600 for a very nice 3 bedroom apartment on the outskirts, in downtown Albany we would probably pay $900 for a similar neighborhood and house.
That being said, although people aren't exactly lining up for block parties, no one is really un-friendly, and crime in my opinion is low. Bisexuals I'm sure are plentiful, being outside of Albany, it's pretty diverse. It is not rural at all, more suburban if anything. If you do a googlemaps street view of Watervliet, you can see- it is in fact quite run down- not a lot of money in the city. However, there have been recently a number of "flips" on large homes in part of a "beautify watervliet" project.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,597 times
Default Fyi

I grew up in Vliet. Unfortunately it has changed over the years. I would not however call it dirty. There are plenty of people who live there who take care of their properties and dont rent to pigs. If you don't want to be bothered with "riff-raff" dont surround yourself with that class of people. If you want a nice home, live in the right part of town. There are good and not so good parts of town, there are also good and not so good people. Hum, can't that be said about any town???

Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 AM

469 posts, read 1,555,904 times
What about Albany compared to Watervliet. Yeah I met some people from Watervliet and they were really trashy, ignorant, confrontational (only when they were with their friends mind you), etc.

How is Albany?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 9,006 times
Hi there...Albany is definitely a cooler city to live in than Albany. If you are trying to choose between living in Albany vs. Watervliet, I would choose Albany. More diverse people...more professional people. If you are bisexual, I would probably suggest living around Lark Street. I really like Lark street. It has a lot of historical charm. It is near a park, it has lots of little bars and restaurants to walk to. Parking is a pain, but if you don't mind that, or if you can rent a place to park your car, then it wouldn't be so bad.

It really depends on what you are looking for. Yes, Watervliet is cheaper to live in...but it is a more run down, less hip of a city. Will you be working or going to school in Albany or Watervliet or nearby?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 5,743 times
Default thanks

thanks because the person that wrote that rediculous post about me had no class and knows squat about vliet cuz he hasn't lived there in over 10 years. yea watervliet is an old town and is a bit run down ,but it has its charms like the scuyler bakery,guss's hot dogs which is a poular place to eat at.there are also several stores within walking distance and quite a few old ,but victorian like homes and apartment buildings .the city is currently trying to improve the hudson shores park and trying to bring more businesses in the area. watervliet is pretty much like any other place in that area ie: cohoes and green island,& troy as far as the people are concerned.there are folks of all kinds both good and bad,not everyone is mean and not everyone there is riff raff.watervliet canalso be a kind of clique like town and everyone just has to know your business,but if you choose your friends wisely and not put your business out there you'll be alright.if you like convenience and being close to gas stations and stores. watervliet is good for that although i would probably not do your entire grocery shopping at price chopper cuz that place is run down and is only good fo a quick run in to grab maybe chips & dip,snacks & beer. that is the real truth about watervliet and i'm sticking to it

Old 03-21-2010, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 5,743 times
i should also add that albany does has quite a bit of criminal activity.so if u don't like looking over your shoulder all the time and u like peace and quiet when you are home then albany wouldn't be the place for you . it looks good on the outside with all of the fancy buildings but it's terrible on the inside and traffic is a real pain in the butt. it does offer some nice restaurants and clubs.in other words its a nice place to visit but i wouldn't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area