Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,927 times

Advertisements

I SPENT SEVERAL YEARS IN GALWAY, NY FROM SAY 1959 TO EARLY 60'S (63); MY FAMILY OWNED A LARGE HOME & ACREAGE CALLED "KINGS GRANT MANOR" AT THE TOP OF THE HILL OVERLOOKING THE VILLAGE; THE HOUSE WAS SOLD TO SOME WOMAN WHO OPENED IT AS SALT HILL C.C. AFTER NEARLY RUINING A 200+ YEAR OLD HOME - NO NAILS IN THE FLOORS, HOUSE HAD QUITE A HISTORY ACCORDING TO TOWNSPEOPLE & LIBRARY; HAVING BEEN SITE OF LAFAYETTE'S WAR PLANNING DURING FRENCH-INDIAN WARS & DID I MENTION IT WAS HAUNTED - FOR REAL - I AM TRYING TO FIND ANYONE WHO LIVED THERE DURING THAT TIME, OR EVEN THE PRESENT TO EMAIL PICTURES TO ME ON IT....I LOVED IT THERE, IT WAS SO DIFFERENT THAN THE CITY.....I LOST TOUCH WITH PEOPLE AFTER I LEFT NY AND MOVED AS AN ADULT ALL OVER AMERICA AND NOW IN CALIFORNIA.....ANYONE OUT THERE RECOGNIZE THIS? THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 AM

378 posts, read 1,905,693 times
I've been to Galway before, but do not know of the "manor" you speak of. I remember it being a beautiful place. It's to bad that much of woods around there are filled with trailers and pre-fab homes now. I was last there in 2004.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:48 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,170 times
Default Galway

I've been going to a family camp on the lake for a weekend, or a week or sometimes more since, well since I was born in the 60's. Was the house right at the intersection in the center of 'town?' I can't picture it, but if I dig into my memory it might come up... And I'll look for it when I'm there sometime this summer. Compared to the places I've lived in my life, Galway hasn't changed too much. Some more houses, more traffic. Quite a number of people living full time on the lake, but at the same time it seems quieter than it was in the summer.

By the way, what is a "C.C."?

The only house that comes to mind is a big farm house that was on top of a hill south of the town, sort of isolated in a stand of trees (elm, maybe) on an otherwise bare hill. Don't know if it's the one you're asking about, but it sure looked haunted from the road! Sadly it seems that in the last couple years it's been abandonned.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 16,178 times
msvicky,

I am currently working in Galway, NY. When you say it was located on a hill overlooking the village - any idea of which direction one looked to see the village? I am on a hill due west of the center of town.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 AM

3 posts, read 16,178 times
msvicky,

Just found out. That was probably the house at the intersection of Rt. 147 (N-S) and Rt. 67 (E-W) that was torn down just weeks ago. People lived in it till around a year ago. The place is fairly pretty with a local culture and weather-system a world apart from the Albany area (where I live). Hunters still roam the country roads during husnting season and residents still rush to freshly-killed deer on the road to harvest venison. The local store actually sells deer meat in season.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 11,726 times
Default to MSVICKY

I am the current owner of the property you inquired about.

Many of the locals say this place is "haunted", but all stories are "generic" without detail.

I would be very interested to hear your "haunted" story.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,904 times
Hi, Interesting post. I live on Galway Lake in the summers and pass the salt hill place every day. I was told by a local that Jacqueline Kennedy used to "hide out" there when it was a bed and breakfast. I didn't know anything about the place and I guess I still don't. Was the building next door to the main house the bed and breakfast?

Old 04-30-2007, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,726 times
Default salt hill

yes, Jackie Kennedy did stay at the manor.

the property was originally 7-8 acres. the main house (used for entertaining) and the guest house. Salt Hill was open for private guests (invitation only) only a couple of years..... then the property was divided and put up for sale as 2 separate properties. The guest house sold immediately and was run as a bed and breakfast for years. The main house (manor) remained unoccupied for about 30 years until I purchased it.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 29,869 times
This is going a bit off topic but we are looking into moving to the Galway area in the next few months (from Long Island) and are wondering about the culture, schools, crime etc. etc. The home we are interested in is on Fayville Road. What is the surrounding area like? Is it farmland or more suburban? Any details you can provide about the town in general would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Mary

Old 06-07-2007, 08:12 PM
CKB

1 posts, read 5,743 times
Hey Mary; need info about our small town? Lets see, blink and you're through the village intersection. We may be small but we're welcoming and friendly to everyone. I not only worked at the High School for years, but my husband, myself and our children have graduated from GHS, home of the Golden Eagles. Our community is rural, but only a short 20 miles either east (Saratoga) or south (Schenectady) will provide flenty of shopping. Grocery shopping is only about 13 miles from here (Amsterdam). The northway is not too far, and the thruway is close too. We seem to be a community smack dab in the middle. Anything else, just give a shout. ~ CKB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area