Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 12,296 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to the RPI area and am trying to find the best place to live that is quiet, convenient to RPI, and not crime-ridden. Is Waterford that place? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBer View Post
I'm considering moving to the RPI area and am trying to find the best place to live that is quiet, convenient to RPI, and not crime-ridden. Is Waterford that place? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Quite possibly, i lived next door in Cohoes once,Waterford is quite and
not much crime, lower-middle class Catholic town primarily.Pretty too.
I live in WI now, but Capitol area is one of best areas In USA-IMHO.
Troy is iffy though in places,How convient W-ford is up to your judgement.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:39 PM

18 posts, read 74,882 times
Waterford is pretty convenient to the RPI/Troy area, either by going down 787 and over the Route 7 or Green Island bridges, or just driving across the river from the main street (Broad Street) into Lansingburgh (North Troy) and going down that way.

WF is a nice town around an older but friendly village. Broad Street looks a little tired, but people are working to improve it and everyone in the village knows everyone else anyhow. It has that kind of feel. It has the Waterford Wall at the visitor's center, a busy spot in the summer where boaters going up the Erie Canal route tie up for overnights. Right next to that is Peebles Island State Park, great wooded walking trails all over the place.

It's in Saratoga County, one of the nicest places in NYS to live, as far as I'm concerned. Twenty minutes to downtown Albany, half an hour to Saratoga Springs, right next door to Clifton Park and Halfmoon and every mall/store/movie there is. Restaurants all over the place, from chains and small BBQ joints to McGreivey's, the new one on Broad Street - over a million dollars invested in creating that place, very nice. Safe, with an active small town police department and a LOT of patrol presence from the Saratoga County Sheriff and the NYSP.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 PM

11 posts, read 44,114 times
Dave said it!
And a side note- you really won't find any crime ridden areas other than some areas of downtown Albany, some of Schenectady, and some of Troy. The outskirts towns although possibly worn down looking, are all safe as far as I'm concerned. You can really do a Google Streets view and see all there is to see in the areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area