U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 09:10 PM

199 posts, read 495,605 times

Advertisements

I currently live in El Paso, TX; I've been here nearly 2 years and I feel
it is time to leave. All of my adult life, I've lived in communities that were rather "well educated; El Paso is a city for H.S. dropouts. Although it is very safe here, I feel out of place due to my education and professional background.

On Albany, I am retired and don't feel comfortable driving any longer; what is Albany's mass transit system like, or will I need a car there? I usually don't travel far on a daily basis, just shopping and I spend plenty of time
in libraries. Is Albany a vegetarian-friendly city?

Thanks in advance for your response,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 PM

59 posts, read 272,830 times
I get your feelings about Tx; and Albany would be a great alternative.

We have a great Mass Transit system, Capital District Transportation Authority (CDTA) CDTA visit their site and it can tell you everything you need to know.

We also have a great Library system, Albany Public Library (APL)
Albany Public Library visit their site and it can also tell you everything you need to know.

With one search of the internet, I found a very exciting group that you can join with regard to your Vegetarian needs The Albany Vegetarian Meetup Group (Albany, NY) - Meetup.com (http://vegetarian.meetup.com/405/ - broken link) have a look here, it seems they are very active here in Albany.

I think you will find shopping almost anywhere you decide to live; be it in the City or in the 'burbs. We have many malls, as well as outside walking malls. We have several grocery stores as well as Honest Weight Food Co-op Honest Weight Food Co-Op please visit here, they seem to have a new and exciting website (I may visit them soon myself).

Please feel welcome here in Albany, we have a pretty good educational system, and many college graduates, as well as advance degree residents.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 PM

59 posts, read 272,830 times
Looks like you just missed the Vegetarian Expo NY Capital Region Vegetarian Expo

Old 10-04-2008, 07:28 AM

199 posts, read 495,605 times
Your reply colbean8 was a breath of fresh air, with just the Co-Op. I tell people here that I am a Vegan
vegetarian, and they think I'm from Outer Space. I'll deal with the decreased safety by using common sense. I have 3 months left on my lease and I'm dying to get out of here......

Thanks again and have a great weekend,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: