Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,860 times

Advertisements

My husband just stared working in Albany in July. We live in Saugerties now, it takes him about 40 mins to get to work. I rent space in Kingston for my business, I am a Hair Stylist and have been for 20 years. If we move to Albany I will have to start all over again to build my client base.

My sister is a daycare pervider, so I know my son is in good hands when we are both a work. Should we make the move to Albany so my husband can be closer to his job? He is doing very well at his new job and just loves it. His company has already askes him about moving up in the company.

I know I can find a job with no problems, but the thought of building my client base again at 40 does not thrill me and we will lose a great daycare pervider. My son will be starting perschool next fall and then off to school, so he would not be with my sister for much longer any way.

Last edited by Inspire; 10-13-2008 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Is 40 minutes that unmanagable? From various posts I read that appears to be an easy comute. Look at the quality of life you have now, can you recreate that in the Albany area. Would the schools be of the same qulity for your sons education.

Just some thoughts...

Old 10-13-2008, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,860 times
No, I don't think it's a bad comute, I'm just worried that he's responsabilitys at his job will get to the point that he will not be home very much. As it is now he does,nt get home untill 6 or after and my son is in bed by 7 or 8 so he is not getting to see his family very much. I was woundering if it would make thing easier on the family.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,643 times
At this point dont move. If something happens at his work and you had moved for him and now have to start all over you will BOTH be miserable. 40 mintues is an easy commute. Also if you live closer dont be surprised if he stays at work "just" a little bit longer because home is so close. Then he ends up coming home at 6 anyways. Maybe once or twice a week when the economy gets a little better you and your child can meet him for a night out of dinner around 5 15 or so...just food for thought...(pun intended)

Old 10-14-2008, 05:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspire View Post
No, I don't think it's a bad comute, I'm just worried that he's responsabilitys at his job will get to the point that he will not be home very much. As it is now he does,nt get home untill 6 or after and my son is in bed by 7 or 8 so he is not getting to see his family very much. I was woundering if it would make thing easier on the family.
Your husband is trying to get ahead and further his career, which will mean extra work hours. In our early years husband traveled sometimes 5 days a week, but it was necessary to further his career. Make the most of the weekends when he is available to the family and the time he spends with the children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area