U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,631 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if someone may be able to help. My husband and I have been thinking of moving to New York. We currently live in a desert area of So. Cal. It is basically about 90 to 100 degrees 9 months out of the year, as well as extremely unhealthy air. We would like to relocate to an area that has real seasons. I also would like good schools and plenty of activities for children. I have two girls ages 11 and 9. Unfortunetly, they spend alot of time indoors due to the extreme heat. I've been reading everyone's post regarding Clifton Park and it sounds ideal for us. Does anyone recommend other areas in Saratoga County?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:22 PM

7,295 posts, read 14,710,660 times
Schuylerville school district (Saratoga) is a very good one which is covered by quite a few towns (Gansevoort, Northunderland). There are several nice developments in the area, Brampton Woods is one. Housing begins around $250K. You might check out the Times-Union newspaper which contains school reports. We live in Saratoga, so if you have any questions you can PM me.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM

188 posts, read 618,422 times
We just moved to Saratoga county from SoCal and we love it here. =) I don't have kids, but I hear the school districts around here are very good. I'm not looking forward to the heating bill, tho!! =)

Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM

59 posts, read 273,027 times
Insulate, wear layers of clothing and chaulk.....you'll be ok.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:54 PM

49 posts, read 146,575 times
Hi Featherz,

Where in SoCal did you move from?
I'm in Saratoga county too and moved from Pacific Palisades.
You can read my other messages here and see how I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting.

I don't have young kids, but know many people with children who love living here.

Colbean8 is right! Layers! I think I supported Eddie Bauer last year with all the stuff we bought there. And we needed it.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the info. How cold does it get? My kids are excited about living where it snows. My husband is a bit concerned. He's never shoveled snow from a driveway or anything like that, but at the same time he's ready for a change.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:11 AM

7,295 posts, read 14,710,660 times
Default Past Year Temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivm View Post
Thanks for the info. How cold does it get? My kids are excited about living where it snows. My husband is a bit concerned. He's never shoveled snow from a driveway or anything like that, but at the same time he's ready for a change.
Typical Weather for Schuylerville, NY - Normal High / Low / Average Temperature for Schuylerville, NY (http://www.accuweather.com/us/ny/schuylerville/12871/forecast-normals.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&metric= 0 - broken link)

Old 10-12-2008, 06:44 AM

188 posts, read 618,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieLA View Post
Hi Featherz,

Where in SoCal did you move from?
I'm in Saratoga county too and moved from Pacific Palisades.
You can read my other messages here and see how I'm having a bit of a hard time adjusting.
We moved from Lake Arrowhead, CA so we are used to snow. Plus they salt the roads here and of course in California that's a no-no so I had to essentially 'slide' my Jeep down the mountain every day to go to work. There's another Ex-Lake Arrowhead person near us and they state the winters here are much better as far as driving goes than back in California because of that. Of course, it's colder here in NY - coldest we personally saw in california was 8F and that was only 1-2 days. Normally it was in the teens at worst.

We 'inherited' a large snowblower with our house so we'll be trying that out this winter, but as we are off a major road I can just 4WD it out if I have to.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the link, Ellwood. When my family gets closer to doing the actual move I'll defintely have more questions.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:25 AM

788 posts, read 2,167,921 times
I live in the southern tier(Tioga County), but have family over in and around Saratoga/Glens Falls. With the number of ex-Cali's responding...is that a known relocation spot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area