U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times

Advertisements

hey peoples-

i am looking to transfer to SUNY Albany and also have a baby on the way! As a single woman of color, I am looking for a reasonably priced 1 bedroom apartment, would love to have utilities included, but am no opposed to paying. I also need to be relatively close to campus, and any type of community that is supportive of single mothers. I am also an artist, and though I will miss the amenities of so many galleries and museums here in nyc, I am willing to trade that to just get down to finishing up my degree and being a great mom. I live in Brooklyn now, in Bed-Stuy and it is definitely on the super speed track of redevelopment, but there is still a certain kinda of grittiness to it, if folks know what I mean. I guess there is a distinct history, and it is sad that people are being kicked out of their homes to move wealthier folks in. Nuff said on that...but pretty much I am looking for a safe community. A place where many different generations and folks live together. I read some posts on Troy, but am just super unfamiliar to all of it. If anyone can share some knowledge, that would be great! I am going to visit the campus in a few weeks, so possibly then I will be able to do some of my own on the ground research...i just need some leads! Thanks so much!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 08:40 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,724,130 times
babyontheway, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the amount of art galleries & cultural venues. College of St. Rose just opened a nice gallery, Albany Institute of Art is pretty cool...with all the universities & colleges here, there are many places to enjoy a wide variety of art.

UAlbany did have -- & I believe still does -- a decent program for relocating single minority mothers; did you look into that? I can't remember if it was in the form of grants or scholarships, but they are very pro-diversity. They even had a waiting list for on-site daycare. It's been a few years since I've heard it mentioned.

You will probably here a lot of strong opinions both pro & con about our mingling of ages, races & culture here...probably more on the con side, but I truly believe "like finds like". There are a lot of individuals in the Capital District that welcome all walks of life into their communities. You will meet many here, no doubt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area