U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 43,364 times

Advertisements

Hello again! We are buying a home in Albany County,and dream of having an in-ground pool. I also know that it will increase our home value in the long run to install an inground rather then an above ground. We are eager to know what the approx. cost we are looking at for the pool and installation to occur for this coming 2009 summer season. I am hoping that pre-booking will save me a little, but I dont even know what we are talking for cost. I appreciate any help anyone out there can offer us during this adventurous time in our lives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:11 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,679,935 times
Hi Cami518,
We had an inground put in our last home which we sold almost 3 years ago. We paid 14 grand for that one - standard 16x32. We priced them for our new home when we moved in - 19 grand prebook price before any talk of upgrades.

But something important you should know: a pool will NOT increase your home value. It can actually work against you. I sold real estate for a time in the 90's & my fellow agents always said that, & I always thought they were wrong. Well, that was because I got lucky with buyers who wanted a pool to begin with. Not so when we put our own house on the market. We lost 3 very interested prospects who liked everything about the house EXCEPT the pool. The buyer we finally got wanted a pool, but we still took a price reduction because that buyer also knew a pool could hinder us.

So if you put the pool in, enjoy it for yourselves, but don't add it to the final value of the home. The major players - Concord, Islander, & A-Frame - are all good, but I personally think the Concord guys are the nicest - if that counts for anything!

Old 11-14-2008, 09:00 PM

80 posts, read 340,569 times
I concur piperspal...a pool, inground or above ground will most likely reduce the value of your home...at a minimum, it will make it harder to sell. People in this section of the country, as a general rule, don't want to put up with the hassle of maintenence and cost of something they can only use 3 or maybe 4 months out of the year.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:35 PM

7 posts, read 43,364 times
Thanks for the feed back. I really never considered that fact that the pool is really only used 3-4 months out of the year. I guess all those home & garden shows are not truthful when explaining that inground vs above ground increases you home value. Maybe all the houses they sell, repair, or flip are all in warm/hot areas. This is all something to take into consideration before jumping with both feet in. So thanks again....

Old 11-16-2008, 08:54 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,679,935 times
Your welcome! I should also add that we did have additional homeowners insurance because of the pool; the amount was reduced a bit when we put one of those heavy duty winter covers on - the kind that are bolted to the concrete surround - trampoline-like material that they advertize showing an elephant on it. A fence is required in NYS for any pool - even my neighbor who put up a 3ft inflatable job was told by the village inspector that she had to get afence put up. She sold the pool instead.

I used to really turn up my nose at above-grounds, but they are really making some nice ones now, and you can get really creative with landscaping &/or decking. It's cheaper than an inground; when your children (or you) move or decide you aren't using it enough to justify the expense, it's much easier (& way cheaper) to remove. My niece was just quoted a price to have a company come & take her above ground away - the pool was still in good shape but old enough that selling it probably wouldn't have been successful. She didn't want to pay the removal price, so she put it on craigslist as a "free - you take down & haul" deal. Went in less than a week.

Just some food for thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area