U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 06:07 AM

584 posts, read 2,298,823 times

Advertisements

We'll arrive by car about noon mid week in 2 weeks.

Any must see there? Not into museums unless there's a once in a lifetime exhibit.

Also, would love a lunch and a dinner recommendation where we can have a non-chain meal for $40 total including tip. Something special to Albany would be nice! Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:43 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,682,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post

Any must see there? Not into museums unless there's a once in a lifetime exhibit.

Also, would love a lunch and a dinner recommendation where we can have a non-chain meal for $40 total including tip. Something special to Albany would be nice! Thanks.
This is nuts! - I'm scratching my head trying to think of a must-see in Albany that isn't a museum!! There has to be something, I must be over-tired. C'mon folks - give it up! This time of year is tough. Summer & fall, now that's another story - lots to do & see. Also, do you have to limit it to Albany, or can you drive within 30-40 minutes of downtown?

Anyway, on the dining recommendations, we got you covered. For lunch & dinner at your price point (is that per person?), try Ralph's Tavern on Central Ave. 2 blocks east of Fuller Rd. in Colonie. Nothing fancy, just good simple food, ample portions & great prices. Also very good, casual & cheap is Phoenician's Mediterranian about a mile or so west on Central.

For the nicer spots, in no particular order, here are some of my favorites. All local joints within the Albany/Colonie radius & in the price range you mention:

Ginger Man
Barnsider
Jack's Oyster House
Albany Pump Station
Carmine's
Aromi D'Italia

That's just a start. Hopefully a few other posters will chime in.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:39 AM

584 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Thanks. We'll actually be driving up from East Stroudsburg, PA so if there's something along the way that's good too!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,682,820 times
Not sure if you will be in town while it's dark, if so there are two easy drive-by attractions.

1) Washington Park on Madison Ave. near New Scotland Ave. & Lake Ave. They have a holiday light display thruout the park & the Lakehouse is decorated & filled with food & crafts. Proceeds benefit P.A.L.; the Police Athletic League for youth. I forget what the fee is - it's a flat rate per carload.

2) IMO, one of the best light displays anywhere is Apple Blossom Lane in the Town of Colonie off of Consaul Road. Just a few streets that form a loop; almost every house puts on an elaborate display. A few houses last year even strung their lights in the trees so it formed a canopy effect as you drove through. I haven't been yet this year, but it really does get better every year.

The architecture of the Capital District is pretty neat. The steps & facade of the State Capital; the churches nearby; & the state Education Bldg. all are impressive to see.

If you ever have a chance to come back in the fall or summer, be sure to take in Thatcher State Park, Saratoga Springs, Schoharie Valley & Cooperstown, Columbia County, the Hudson Valley & the Catskills. All are close enough to Albany & have quaint little towns.

I never realized how sleepy Albany is until I tried to answer your post!

BTW, I'm considering relocating to PA, TN, or VA. So far in PA, I'm looking at NEPA (at least that's how it's termed here in the forums). If you have any recommendations for towns with an attractive "main street" feel for retail business, please let me know! - thanks!
Piperspal

Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 PM

382 posts, read 1,443,158 times
Grawburg - There's an observation floor at the top of the tallest state office building in Albany. I believe it's free and on a clear day the view is worth it. You can see the Berkshires and Catskills. Don't know if it's still open these days. I was up there pre 9/11. Lots has changed since then. On the east side of the Hudson there are the mansions that are open for touring. There's also storm king near Bear mountain and the outdoor sculpture garden. Don't know what you are really into. Interesting old stone houses in New Paltz. Another cool place is Olana outside of Hudson. It's Frederic Church's old estate. You can have a tour and again on a nice day the view is outstanding.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 60,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post

Albany Pump House (in downtown) - Great food (and beer) for lunch.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:29 PM

13,818 posts, read 26,632,940 times
PS...no Olana tours this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area