Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 02:51 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to another state this year and our house will be empty when we list it. Yes, we've discussed selling it before we leave, but we have 3 dogs so it's not a real option.

Because the house will be empty, we're thinking about having it staged. How does one go about this? Any idea on cost?

We haven't spoken with a realtor about any of this yet. We're waiting until we're much closer to moving.

Anyone have staging experience?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Default Staging vs Empty

We had our house on the market for three months while we were living in it. Everyone commented how beautifully it was decorated, well maintained, etc. Over 80 showings (this was in NJ) last January. We finally had all our furnishings moved to our new residence and the house was empty. It sold within a month. I think staging is a way to make money. I honestly don't think it matters as long as your house is clean and well maintained.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 AM

Default Forgot to add

Our realtor, who has been in the business for 30 years, told us that staging was a waste of money, to put it nicely.
You're selling square footage, not furniture.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,835 times
Default Staging to Sell Quickly and For Top Dollar

I applaud you for being proactive in researching the tools available to you to help you prepare your house for sale BEFORE you put it on the market Unfortunately, so many people wait until their house is sitting for months with no offers and they've reduced their price several times to then bring in a professional stager, which is almost always an investment that is less than the first price reduction. I recommend to clients that they plan for approximately 1% of the value of the house for the staging service, although it can be less. Statistics show that on average staged homes sell faster than unstaged homes, and for more money, so it is well worth the investment!

Although it may seem counterintuitive, empty houses actually appear smaller to potential buyers, as there is nothing for the eye to rest on. I recently completed staging an empty house, where after I was done, the owner was surprised to see that the room he thought was a small bedroom, was actually the master bedroom. A stager will create a layout plan for each room that optimizes and showcases the space, while sourcing the rentals and the accessories needed to complete the look. Remember that once you put your house on the market, you have a product to sell, and the better you package it (assuming it is priced right), then the more quickly you will get it sold and the more money you will get for it.

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-22-2009 at 04:33 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 02:03 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
I'd rather look at a vacant house than one with furniture. It's easier for me to picture how I want MY home to be like and where MY furniture will go. At the end of the day, I just look at the square footage for price, floor plan, location and the outer appearance. I don't even look so much at the landscaping as that is something I can work with/improve.

To me, a vacant home looks more clean. If you've got nice clean floors and walls, I don't see any reason to hide that with furnishings. I'm in the market for a house for me and I'm not interested in the furnishings unless you intend to give them to me with the house.

If you've got ruffed up walls and flooring, then staging might be worthwhile to take attention away from that. To me a fresh coat of neutral paint would be the most desirable for the money because it makes the house look new and in move in condition. At least that's what I like to see. Just an opinion from someone who's house shopping at the moment. Maybe others feel differently.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We had our house on the market for three months while we were living in it. Everyone commented how beautifully it was decorated, well maintained, etc. Over 80 showings (this was in NJ) last January. We finally had all our furnishings moved to our new residence and the house was empty. It sold within a month. I think staging is a way to make money. I honestly don't think it matters as long as your house is clean and well maintained.
I forgot to mention, before we packed, we took pictures of each room and attached it to each door so they could picture it with furniture.

Son just bought a home and it was empty also. He said when it is furnished you tend to look at the furniture and it can disguise some of the flaws. His wife commented some of the model homes they looked at, which were furnished, were decorated not to their liking, which turned them off a couple of times.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 11,375 times
I (my company: Cottage to Kastle) stage a great number of homes for Real Estate purposes and for parties and special occassions as well. I can tell you from over 25 years of personal experience that a properly and elegantly staged home sells for more money and quicker than those that are not.

True that everyone has differnet tastes and we all want to envision our own stuff in the house but when presente din the proper way - Staging is absolutlely beneficial. Hope that helps.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 17,524 times
I agree that a house properly staged will sell quicker, and for more than a house either unstaged or vacant. Moderator cut: realtor soliciting Good luck.

Patrick

Last edited by bellafinzi; 02-12-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 04:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,819 times
Default home staging for a quicker sale

I also agree that a staged home sells quicker and for more money. I have staged many homes before selling them. Although people have different taste in furniture, staging is not all about the actual furniture...it is about maximizing the square footage in a tasteful manner to the eyes that are viewing your home.

Some of the time furniture is rented but the majority of the time I have used what the seller had to work with (if in good condition and not dated)….....staging is not all about the items in the house either; as you are preparing in your mind what may need to be done, consider this if the house is vacant, these ideas work for me more time than not and the cost is minimum.
· changing paint on the walls to a neutral color,
· adding area rugs, shampooing carpets and making wood floors shine
· maybe just a couple small side tables with nice lamps
· tasteful art work on the walls (not too much)
· if you have a nice fireplace, tastefully decorate and make it the focal point of the room
· add good lighting if the room does not get good sun light
· make sure the windows are CLEAN.
· don't forget the curb appeal.....if the buyer is distracted by cob webs and peeling paint at the door or leaning mailing when pulling into the driveway...they have already created their first impression before stepping inside.

If you decide to vacate and if you have pets…I probably agree with you that is best, prior to you leaving, hire someone to keep up the lawn maintenance. If you don’t know anyone, ask your realtor. Most realtors will be able to provide several referrals.

The moral of this story; my opinion and past experience says “staging works” but remember to stage inside and outside, especially if you have a nice front porch or screened in back room.

By the way….it does not always cost to have your home professionally staged. There are realtors that will stage your home if it is listed with them at NO COST for labor.
There are a few certified stagers (ASP) and some just have years of experience.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Good luck…I hope this info was of some help to you.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area