U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 06:10 PM

486 posts, read 1,977,119 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone in Albany can help me.
I am trying to get my adoption records released from Department of Health. But since I was born in California and the adoption finalized in NY, they won't release my papers. And California claims they don't have them.

Does anyone know of a way to obtain these records. I want to find my birth parents and have been searching for years. New York should have copies but they are making it so hard.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 01:25 PM

7,447 posts, read 14,794,209 times
Adoption Information Registry - New York State Department of Health

According to NY DOH they cannot provide the original birth certificate but can help you with non-identifying information.

When my partner was searching for his records, CA provided the original birth certificate. Suggest you start with the original birth certificate, which should provide you with a name(s) of birth mother and/or father. Your adoptive parents might have a copy of the original birth certificate. Once you have the names you can begin searching. CA has birth records on line. You might be able to find some information which you can use to obtain the original birth certificate.
http://www.stategovrecords.com/lp.ph...=sr59&sk=Birth

I believe you can register with NY DOH and if your birth parents have filed to consent to you contacting them, they will have it on file. Another avenue might be the lawyer who was involved. Check with your adoptive parents first.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM

Thanks Ellwood -- NY won't release NID because I was adopted in CA and CA wont give me any info because the adoption was finalized in NY.
I filled out forms, I contacted people, even petitioned the CA courts.

Because I am involved with these two states I hit every dead end.

I even contacted the Dr at the time of the delivery. He sold his practice along with the records years ago and that doctor who he sold to died.

Really stinks. I pretty much need a person who has access to the paper work directly.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:34 PM

59 posts, read 273,692 times
Have you visited our forum here: //www.city-data.com/forum/paren...u-adopted.html

maybe they will have some answers for you.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,432,732 times
I found one other way to find my birthmother. I registered on Adoption.com. I was able to not only look to see who might match my basic information, but I also had information about my birthmother. It's worth a shot, it took 5 years before I got contacted, but it can and does happen.

I personally despise NY and their antiquated ideas about adoptees. Why in this day and age are we treated like second class citizens? We have NO rights to our medical background and get subjected to expensive testing by Dr's because we don't know our health histories. We are still treated like "bastards" that should be hidden away and not discussed. Time to push NYS into opening our records so we have the same knowledge as children raised by their natural parents. Adoption isn't shameful, but darned if it's still not treated that way. Our rights about our backgrounds are totally taken away from us. It's just wrong.

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:27 AM

Thank you all for your insight.

I contacted a place called adoptionlinx.com and I decided to hire them to do the footwork. They are a low fee based operation. You pay half now and the other half when they find your birth mom. The PI was way too expensive.

CampingMom - You are right about NY. I think the law was passed in 1937 or around there to prevent us from finding out any information. There are people trying to get this law revised. I even signed an online petition. I'm happy to know that you found your birth mother .

colbean8 - I will check out that CD link. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 1,883 times
I am looking for my birth parents it has been a rollercoaster ride . If you found any info I would be very grateful Namaste Yvonne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
View detailed profiles of: