U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 31,844 times

Advertisements

Looking for some feedback. Seeking a place to live that has its own walkable main street with useful services, older homes, a community-minded feel, reasonable taxes and a good public school district. Any such city/town/village exist in and around the Capital Region? If not, let me know what you think the closest match may be. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 AM

538 posts, read 2,331,134 times
Please! Someone answer this thread! I am also wonder the same thing as the original poster.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:33 PM

585 posts, read 2,103,915 times
This a a bump more than anything but I'm sure someone is gonna mention Saratoga Springs. Saratoga makes Fort Collins, CO look like a ghetto (well, not really but it's very nice). Scotia seemed nice when we drove through, same with Ballston Spa. I'd like to hear other opinions of areas like Waterford, Mechanicsville, Glens Falls, Nassau....

Old 03-14-2007, 12:52 PM

31 posts, read 135,406 times
OK I'll speak up. I'm going to say the Saratoga area but IMO it's expensive, but the areas around it are nice also. Greenfield (although more rural), Ballston Lake, Malta, Wilton and South Glens Falls are all more affordable options to living in the city of Saratoga Springs. Now if you need to live around the Capital Region (ie Albany) you can look a little more east towards Kinderhook, Valatie, East Greenbush (Nassau is around there also) area. Niskayuna but stay away from Schenectady and personally Niskayuna is too close to Schenectady. Or you can split the difference between the two and you have Clifton Park/Burnt Hills

I guess it all depends on where you need to be and what you're looking for in a town. I personally LOVE Saratoga but it's my home town so I'm biased . If you have specifics I'd love to help you if I can.

The good thing about the Capital Region that unless you live right in Albany/Schnectady/Troy there really aren't any "bad" area's or really bad schools. You do need to check them out. But the towns I've mentioned are fairly small (well I don't know where y'all are coming from). And are great areas to raise kids, I'd do it in a heart beat if my husband could get a job back home. But they don't have what he does.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:53 PM

3,234 posts, read 8,103,277 times
I have a friend that just moved to Saratoga. Its a nice place. Everywhere else seems like your run of the mill suburbs so I guess anywhere you pick would be good. Saratoga did seem to stand out though.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:39 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,427,125 times
saratoga, albany, delmar, fuera bush, columbia co-chatham, rennsaerville

Old 03-14-2007, 02:53 PM

538 posts, read 2,331,134 times
does anyone know about Rensselear county? Particularly living in Sand Lake, West Sand Lake, or Averill Park? Prices seem a bit cheaper here than Saratoga County.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 PM

145 posts, read 470,105 times
Anyone got any comments on Cohoes, Waterford, Guilderland, Colonie? Any decent neighborhoods at all in Albany?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:08 AM

14 posts, read 89,712 times
Hello,
Excuse me.
My friend’s
Can you tell me with some information about it topic*, planning urban to “suburbs” in your district, pleased.
The idea is learn to “quality of life”.
I’d like make confrontation with my region.
I see your picture of suburbs, it’s a good impression.
I’d like learn more about it is subject.

*The typical home in lots and street.

This had attended mine discussion in my place.

Thank you very much.

I’m from suburb the Mogi Guaçu, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

My name’s Rogerio.
E-mail. rogeriofocco@yahoo.com.br
Good bye.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:33 PM

3 posts, read 31,844 times
Thanks everyone. I'm the original poster.

Hubby and I work in Troy, and currently live in Troy. We're looking to eventually leave once we start a family. That's why I asked about neighboring towns. We dislike traditional suburbs and would rather go somewhere with a unique character.

I've visited Niskayuna and Delmar, both are a bit too suburban for me. Albany is a bit too urban. I think I'd go stir crazy if I lived in a rural area.

Is there something in between? Sounds like Saratoga has a few good reviews. Of course I'll need to consider the commute to Troy....

S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area