U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 PM

135 posts, read 527,178 times

Advertisements

Why in the world are property taxes so high in Albany? $8600 for a house priced at less than $300,000? That really seem excessive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:19 PM

207 posts, read 612,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
Why in the world are property taxes so high in Albany? $8600 for a house priced at less than $300,000? That really seem excessive.
In some parts of the Capital District the taxes would be higher than that; $8600 for a $300,000 house is probably "cheap" for this area. The proposed state budget includes cuts to the STAR program, which would directly increase property taxes further for many people.

New York State has a very bad habit of passing legislation requiring municipalities to provide certain services, but funding is typically not provided to cover the services. Thus, the only way for local governments to meet the mandates is to tax at the local level. For example, counties are required to fund a quarter of Medicaid services; most states do not pass this cost to the local level. In most counties, that is where the majority of the tax revenues go. See the following for more information about health-care related costs to the counties:

County Budgets Pinched by State Medicaid Changes - New York Times

And then of course there are the school taxes. New York State spends more per student on education than any other state (I have seen Washington DC higher in some rankings). Of course, NYS does not have the highest performance of any state. Instead, we pay far more than other states for the same or worse results. The school budgets in NYS could be cut significantly without actually affecting education (except of course that those cuts would be applied by the school districts such that they affected students rather than the top-heavy management structures).

In other areas, retiree health care is unsustainable. Schenectady, for example, is still trying to pay pensions and health benefits that were promised when that area was booming in the 50s. Schenectady has the highest property taxes in the state. You wouldn't expect that given that it is one of the least desirable cities in this area, but it is handcuffed by its prior commitments.

According to the Comptroller's Office numbers at

http://www.osc.state.ny.us/localgov/...2007table2.pdf

a $300,000 house in Schenectady would set you back $14,661 per year in taxes. Of course, there probably are not many $300,000 houses in Schenectady, but that is one of the reasons that Schenectady has little hope for a turnaround in the near-to-mid future.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks--Very informative reply. Granted, the sources of school and public services supports are very different, but in NC the property tax on a 180,000 house is about $1200/year. But I do notice that the NYS Income tax is much lower than NC's when one gets to the higher brackets.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:11 PM

80 posts, read 346,667 times
The more we give the school districts, the more they need. There has been an increase in taxes of about 10% per year for the Albany SD for at least the past 5 years. The inflation rate during this time has been around 3% per year. I'd say It's time to vote out the entire school board. I could do a better job than they are at reducing costs.

Closing all of the "Charter Schools" would be a good start. If they are such a great idea why limit these ideas to the chosen few. Implement the policies of these charter schools in the public school district. That way we would not have to be supporting two separate school districts.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:11 PM

Default It's time for representation

Whenever candidates campaign for the school board they almost always take pains to say they have children in the system, as though that were some basis for qualification. Isn't it time for some smart individuals to run for the office who DON't have children and who can represent the majority of taxpaying residents that support the schools?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,899 times
I just moved to the area and was looking at buying our first home and start a family. I was very impressed with the price of homes here.....280k can get a sweet place! Then I seen the taxes... an extra 1000 a month for P.T and S.T????? On top of that the government has rumors of mortgage break going away..... I think i'll rent, invest the 1000 a month and move out when the kids are ready for school. 5year plan just changed...

Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 PM

78,264 posts, read 106,235,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthompson79852 View Post
I just moved to the area and was looking at buying our first home and start a family. I was very impressed with the price of homes here.....280k can get a sweet place! Then I seen the taxes... an extra 1000 a month for P.T and S.T????? On top of that the government has rumors of mortgage break going away..... I think i'll rent, invest the 1000 a month and move out when the kids are ready for school. 5year plan just changed...
I don't know if STAR is going away and check for other breaks. For instance, of you are a veteran, you get a break on your taxes.

Also, metros like Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are more affordable.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:21 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,352,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if STAR is going away and check for other breaks. For instance, of you are a veteran, you get a break on your taxes.

Also, metros like Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo are more affordable.
The only thing that has changed for '11-'12 is that you have to make under $500K/year to be eligible.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 AM

78,264 posts, read 106,235,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
The only thing that has changed for '11-'12 is that you have to make under $500K/year to be eligible.
and in much of Upstate NY, you can make a fifth of that and have a nice life. So, I don't think it would be much of an issue up here.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:57 PM

334 posts, read 805,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
Whenever candidates campaign for the school board they almost always take pains to say they have children in the system, as though that were some basis for qualification. Isn't it time for some smart individuals to run for the office who DON't have children and who can represent the majority of taxpaying residents that support the schools?
I think the first hurdle is to find someone like that willing to run for the Board. It is a truly grueling unpaid job, as is evidenced by the fact that many Board members resign before their term is up. I have been to several Board meetings in the past two years, and it has been eye-opening. Although there are things that they do that I don't agree with and they approach some things differently than I would, those folks work their butts off. There are so many issues they have to know about and consider, including those mandates another poster mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area