Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 01:10 AM

38 posts, read 78,579 times

Advertisements

I'm from that area and I have lived in Utah for a year but I will tell you If I was moving back to NY and had children the places I would live.... Saratoga Springs, Ballston Spa is OK although they have a high teenage pregnancy rate but a safe town besides that, Burnt Hills Ballston Lake, my alma mater! I think Burnt Hills is the best. Possibly Niskayuna. And if you want to be farther south Colonie or Latham!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 16,086 times
Check out South Glens Falls (northern Saratoga county).

South Glens Falls is an AWESOME school district. I am an alumni and can personally vouch. If you move into the SGF school district your family will become a part of the annual Marathon Dance. This is a dance that the high school students from South High put on every year to raise money for people in the community that need it. In 32 years of having this dance, the students have raised over $2 million for worthy causes. Its an incredible thing to be apart of.

Academics are great. I would estimate that 75% of the graduating seniors in my class went onto college. When I was there (graduated 5 years ago) the boys sports teams weren't great. The girls on the other hand won a few state championships over the years. Theatre was big for us but the year that I graduated, the director left. I'm not sure whats become of that program now.

The district is divided into 4 separate areas. These areas decide which elementary school your children will attend. We have Moreau (SGF closer to Fort Edward & gansevoort town), Tanglewood (SGF village), Harrison Ave (SGF village towards GF) and Ballard (gansevoort/ Wilton). I personally went to Moreau and had a great experience. I would also recommend Tanglewood. I wished I would have lived over there. Tanglewood and the high school are right across the street from each other. Living over there would have been alot more convenient during high school.

The town itself is decent. You have your grocery store, banks, garages, hair salons, gas stations, restaurants, fast food, small beach, parks, dollar stores, laundromat, etc. Pretty much everything you need on a regular basis if within a 5 minute drive. SGF is also pretty equidistant between Queensbury and Saratoga (10 mins on northway).

There was little to no crime when I lived there. My entire family still lives there so I visit weekly. I recall a few break ins and a few drug busts (nothing too crazy) but thats about it.

If you want to get more bang for your buck go with SGF. You'll easilly be able to find the house that you want there. I have family members who live in Briarhurst (off of Spier Falls Rd). Gorgeous house. Great, SAFE area. Very family oriented. There are alot of developments going in on Reservoir Road as well. Those houses are right around your price range, I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area