U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 12,126 times

Advertisements

This site has been great so far in helping me to learn more about areas where my husband is considering moving for jobs. But I'm having trouble deciphering the various opinions on the Albany area so thought I'd jump in with a direct question. Positive responses please! Don't tell me how horrible the Albany area is in winter, how there is nothing to do, taxes are astronomical, or how much you hate it there. (I've read a LOT of these forum discussions, they can be downright depressing!)

Anywho - My husband is considering a good offer in East Greenbush. I am trying to find an area to look at housing and would appreciate your thoughts.

My wants: good school system, decent taxes (relative to the area), nice, friendly, family neighborhood with houses about $400K. A lot of what I've seen in East Greenbush is wells and septic systems, which concerns me a bit as I hear (in these forums) that the water table is high. Also, what is the best option for heating?

So for those of you who live in the area, where might you tell me to look for a house? Thank you so much for your opinions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:21 PM

69,380 posts, read 96,177,967 times
Try Guilderland, Latham/North Colonie, Averill Park, Bethlehem and South Colonie. Here's some good information to look at:https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Albany (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2007&county=Rensselaer (broken link)

http://www.prudentialmanor.com/

Guilderland Central School District

North Colonie Central Schools - Latham, NY

South Colonie Central School District :: South Colonie Central School District - A school district near Albany, New York.

Averill Park Central School District

Bethlehem Central School District - Delmar, NY

I hope this helps.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:05 PM

24 posts, read 45,364 times
I work in East Greenbush, and I live in Clifton Park, near Exit 8 off the northway. People in East Greenbush think I have a long commute, but it's never really more than 30 minutes. People's ideas of what a long commute is here is laughable.

I really like it. My understanding is that because we are in Saratoga county, the taxes here are lower than there. Definately worth looking into.

He's not looking at a software company in East Greenbush, is he?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:42 PM

13,818 posts, read 26,614,974 times
Where are you coming from? Most that come from Long Island like Clifton Park. It could be considered the upstate Long Island. If you're looking for something different, you can go in all 4 directions up here...even western Mass is not a far jump.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 12,126 times
Not software, no. I agree on commutes, we're both from Long Island originally! We lived in the Hudson Valley area for quite a while as well. We're in the midwest right now so we're excited to get back home. - we'd like to stay within 30 minutes or so. I'll check out Clifton Park then, thanks.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 PM

80 posts, read 340,610 times
Sullyone, I'm glad to hear you say you don't want any negative responses! The Albany area is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

I agree with the suggestions others above have posted...Clifton Park, Latham, Loudonville, Guilderland etc. all good choices as far as quality of life and their school district ratings.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 AM

5 posts, read 16,520 times
Default Real Estate Agent

Good morning. I am a local realtor in the Albany, NY area. The answers you have been recieving are all good ones. If you have any more specific questions, I would be happy to try to help you out.

I think you will like this area very much.

Thank you, and good luck.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 PM

4 posts, read 23,534 times
I am also real estate agent in this area and would be happy to answer any questions you have. There are many great areas in this region and as a former transplant to this area that I have called home for 19+ years I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
My husband and I lived in the capital region for several years and loved it. We moved out of the area to be closer to family and where property was more affordable. Now my husband commutes and hour to East Greenbush for work. We are considering moving back to the area and also are wondering where to go? We want a short commute, good schools for our kids, and affordable taxes. As the price of property is SO much more there compared to our current location I am not sure how we're going to do it. Our current mortgages and taxes are comfortable. Of course, if you're looking for a $400K home you should have no problem finding anything you want in the area. Most homes we've been interested in are about $250K, only $150K more than what we paid for our current home LOL. I don't know how people do it, I guess I just am not comfortable putting our whole paycheck into a house payment.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:10 PM

33 posts, read 97,547 times
Lots of East Greenbush is public water and sewer. Everything else you are looking for also fits with East Greenbush. Why have a commute when you don't have to? A quick look at realtor.com in that price range showed homes with public water/sewer. I've been in East Greenbush for 4 years and I really like it. It fits your criteria and I like being so close to everything. I get to my job in downtown Albany in 10 minutes, Latham is 15 minutes and Saratoga is 30 minutes. I work with a lot of people in Clifton Park and it takes them a minimum of 30 minutes to get to downtown during rush hour. The traffic on the Northway sucks. I know it's minor compared to LI traffic (spent years driving there for work) but why do it if you can have a 5-10 minute commute with no traffic?
I always commuted 30 minutes to an hour before moving here. Now I leave my house at 7:40 and am home at 4:15. When we lived in the Hudson Valley my husband commuted 70 miles each way. When we moved here (for his job) he cut his commute to 2 miles. Quality of life is so much better now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area