Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 PM

28 posts, read 220,459 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend may very well be accepting a position at SUNY Albany, and I was wondering how accepting the Albany region is for gay couples. We are in our late 20's, both professionals. Are there any particularly accepting areas? We don't need the Castro, but we would like to live somewhere where we will not be scorned and harassed, and we would like to start a family within the next five years. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 05:15 PM

48 posts, read 414,096 times
extremly accepting...matter of fact...Lark Street and Center Square is where it's at...I don't think it's an issue here...haven't heard of any hate crimes and when the Gay Pride Parade hits the streets there is never any trouble...Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for

Old 03-21-2007, 01:32 PM

10 posts, read 38,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan475 View Post
My boyfriend may very well be accepting a position at SUNY Albany, and I was wondering how accepting the Albany region is for gay couples. We are in our late 20's, both professionals. Are there any particularly accepting areas? We don't need the Castro, but we would like to live somewhere where we will not be scorned and harassed, and we would like to start a family within the next five years. I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Albany is perfect for you guys. People are actually nice and non-judgmental, you'll feel right at home.

I grew up in Albany for 20 years it's wonderful, like one reader post, Lark Street and Center Square is great. It's a good move and your'e gonna love it.

I wish you both luck. Albany is great!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 PM

48 posts, read 414,096 times
thanks for backing my reply up....there are nice people in Albany and especially in the areas I mentioned. Kind of crazy with parking and the weather (snow) but worth looking into. Peace and luck with your search.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:42 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
My cousin and his husband have been in living in Albany for at least 10 years. They seem to enjoy it since they haven't moved or said anything negative about it.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,429 times
I work at SUNY Albany -- it's a very accepting and positive environment. NY State offers domestic partner benefits, and the City of Albany also has a domestic partner registration ordinance.

(Frankly, the city's ordinance isn't much use, but it does guarantee equal treatment from the city. NY state may have civil unions in a few years, and when they pass they will make a lot more of a legal impact.)

Old 04-03-2007, 06:24 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
My friend and his boyfriend live in Saratoga and rave about it. They've never had any problems. Saratoga is a little north of Albany. You may want to check it out if your bf gets the job.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM

34 posts, read 207,946 times
i grew up in the albany area. yes, center square is gay friendly. very much so. but..... albany is a small city, at least the city proper is. and center square is very close to arbor hill, which is a horrenous ghetto. and even though center square is right by washington park, you do not dare walk through the park at night. a guy was murdered doing that a few years ago, right by the lake. if you want to move to the albany area and you want to live in a nice area that has some action and is gay friendly move to saratoga. albany is a big ghetto. it has a lot of crime and also a lot of college students and like someone else said there is no parking in center square. the area itself is fine, there are plenty of nice suburbs and small towns. i will say that the bars stay open late in albany, and there are a lot of bars. but lets face it, saratoga is a much nicer place to live. i you want to live in the city proper i reccomend going west out on western avenue towards guilderland. maybe in the pine hills neighborhood around the colege of saint rose, that is more civilized. 5 miles west of downtown is where suny - albany is anyway. living downtown is just a mess. crime and no parking. i forgot to mention that center square is surrounded by actually two ghettos, the aforementioned arbor hill and on the south side by the utterly hideous south end. from center square you can walk to a price chopper grocery store that has long been called the "ghetto chopper." that should give you some indication.

Last edited by ryangiggs; 04-03-2007 at 04:44 PM..

Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM

3 posts, read 14,540 times
Default Then again, only 30 minutes away is a great gay community...

Have you and your bf heard about Hudson? The gay community has discovered this hip, hot place and have been steadily increasing their presence there. The architecture is fantastic, the restaurants, shops and waterfront are all top-drawer and there's already one great bar, another music club is coming soon, and a fantastic dance bar is just getting started. There's great theater, too. Very, very cool place to be...

Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM

19 posts, read 70,101 times
Visiting Albany area this summer & would like more info re the growing gay scene in Hudson -- names of clubs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area