Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 12,373 times

Advertisements

I've heard this rumour about the Former Army Complex on Duanseburg Road going around and I was wondering if anyone else heard it too.

I heard that it is now an apartment complex filled with tenants and they may be kicked out soon because the owner of the property is "stealing" electricty from the industrial park next door and using their sewage.

A friend of mine lives there and has heard this rumour for months. She said that other people living in the complex told her that it was in the newspaper. I've looked everywhere trying to find out if this is true with no luck. Does anyone know about this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 12,373 times
Exclamation Update!

All right so I FINALLY found something about this situation and apparently there is some truth to the rumors. There was an article in the Daily Gazette (Schenectady NY newspaper) on 3/7/09.

Ok so here is the deal... according to the paper the housing area was formerly military housing that went up for auction. A bidding war started between Sync Realty and Galesi Group (they own Rotterdam Corporate Park next door). Sync ended up winning the property.

Now the fun stuff; the sewer line for the complex IS RUNNING through the Rotterdam Corporate Park AND the complex is technically in an Industrial Zone. When the military was, there the zoning did not apply because the property was federally owned (which is probably WHY the sewer is connected to the Corporate Park). When Sync bought the property, the residential use of the property was no longer valid. The paper also said that if Galesi wanted they could "shut off" the sewer service to the complex starting in MAY!! Sync was given the opportunity to connect the sewer to another place but has to do it. Even if the sewer situation is fixed there is STILL the zoning issue to deal with- AND Sync NEVER was issued a Certificate of Occupancy from the town-, which means the people living there should not even be there, and are in danger of being evicted without much notice!!

What are the people living there supposed to do?! Obviously the tenants are not being "kept in the loop" about this. My friend that lives there heard the "rumor" from a neighbor that heard from someone else. I do not even live there and I am angry for them! What is going to happen to their security deposits if they are kicked out (my friend alone put down almost $2000 to move in!!)? Are their leases even considered valid?? Is there any sort of legal recourse for them? There has to be at least 100-200 people living there. All these people.... what about them?! So messed up.

Does anyone have any other information or advice I could pass along to my friend?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-21-2009, 11:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,518,262 times
Contact a real estate attorney. That's really the only person who can help in a situation like this. They would be up to date on tenant rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area