Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,600 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Colonie. At the age of 14 I moved to Troy. During and after college I lived in Albany. I have since lived in Virginia (Norfolk), Massachusetts (Boston), Rhode Island (Newport), Connecticut (Riverton) and now Illinois (Chicago). You know ... they were all really great places to live. Some of my favorites were Troy, New York and Riverton, Connecticut. Most people would be surprised by the mention of Troy, but the people are really terrific. People in Albany often point to Troy as a crime ridden place beneath contempt. In fact, Troy was recently considered one of the best (THE best, I believe) places to live in the U.S. Those from Albany would rather die than accept that, but it's really a great town. As for Riverton, CT ... wow. Pretty place. Right along the Farmington River, it is as beautiful a place as you could hope for in New England. If you have the time on a Sunday morning, drive out the Mass Pike, take the 1st exit off the pike and follow route 20 south to Route south. Stop at the Chicken Place on the way back and get a "Chicken Only" pot pie. Mmmmm. Great stuff. Use your map and make it to Riverton (an hour and a half from Albany). If you can, have dinner at the Riverton Inn (built in 1793) or dine at the movie house in Winsted (five minutes down the road). Shop at the Hitchcock Chair Factory, buy some ice cream at the candy store, drive down the road that skirts the river, bring your fishing pole or buy one at the general store (great sandwiches, by the way), ask around for the Barkhamstead Reservior and take the drive there. Bring your camara and a picnic basket and just relax for the day. Then ... go home.

Anyway, the point is that all these places have great spots and not so great spots (and some really bad parts sometimes). So much is perception. I still hear folks here in Chicago talk about the terrible crime in New York City. They are almost all very surprised to learn that Chicago is one of the worst cities for crime in the U.S., and NYC isn't even on the top 10 list (18th, I think).

My brother lives in Slingerlands (Outside Albany). Loves it. Most of my friends in the area live in Latham or Balston Spa. They love it. I'm told Clifton Park (the place to live in my youth) ain't all that great no mo! Ask anyone in Albany about Troy and they'll think you crazy to mention the place. Truth is, crime is lower there than almost anywhere in Albany County and the schools are as good or better. No one in Albany would admit that (or believe it) but its true.

Connecticut had the worst schools, public or private. Newport, the worst poverty. Boston was a ball. Loved every part of it and it's a terribly dangerous place at night. Norfolk ... fun town if you like the beach. Not bad if you don't but the winters there ... terrible.

Utica is just the wrong city in the wrong place at the wrong time; something God dropped on his way to Syracuse and was too tired to go back and pick up. Utica was great when Genesee beer was there ... but you had to keep drinking. Personally, I always liked Utica. It seems to be a town just waiting to expand into greatness. Of course, it's been waiting since it started but, who knows ... maybe someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:41 AM

109 posts, read 406,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okinny View Post
Utica is just the wrong city in the wrong place at the wrong time; something God dropped on his way to Syracuse and was too tired to go back and pick up. Utica was great when Genesee beer was there ... but you had to keep drinking. Personally, I always liked Utica. It seems to be a town just waiting to expand into greatness. Of course, it's been waiting since it started but, who knows ... maybe someday.
I agree bro. Having spent most of my life in Utica and knowing a portion of it's history. The city would have done better just letting the mob keep running it.

But honestly Utica and a number of other cities have suffered at the hands of the state gov't. When the mass exodus to the south happened nobody did anything to stop it or it seemed that way. And guess who gets to pay!

The exodus continues today .. can't wait for the census to come out to see how much the population has dropped in NY.

Only thing I miss about NY is .. the hills. It's pretty flat here in Indy.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:14 PM

382 posts, read 1,525,507 times
Default Please don't

"I could go on and on!!........."
But please don' Mr. Biggz. If you live in Indiana and are happy there why are you on this board so frequently with nothing but negative comments?

Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 5,422 times
"Troy was recently considered one of the best (THE best, I believe) places to live in the U.S...."
Your absolutely full of it! Unless you can link to that article I call 100% BS.

"Clifton Park (the place to live in my youth) ain't all that great no mo! Ask anyone in Albany about Troy and they'll think you crazy to mention the place."
Yea your right, people would much rather live in the Troy area than Saratoga area

This guy see's the world a little differently that the rest of us.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM

263 posts, read 623,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
"I could go on and on!!........."
But please don' Mr. Biggz. If you live in Indiana and are happy there why are you on this board so frequently with nothing but negative comments?
LOL, like moving to a cornfield is not a hick move....

Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM

724 posts, read 630,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsanity View Post
"Troy was recently considered one of the best (THE best, I believe) places to live in the U.S...."
Your absolutely full of it! Unless you can link to that article I call 100% BS.

"Clifton Park (the place to live in my youth) ain't all that great no mo! Ask anyone in Albany about Troy and they'll think you crazy to mention the place."
Yea your right, people would much rather live in the Troy area than Saratoga area

This guy see's the world a little differently that the rest of us.

I would absolutely prefer Troy over the Saratoga area. Hands down.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM

263 posts, read 623,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
I would absolutely prefer Troy over the Saratoga area. Hands down.

Most people would most definitly not agreee with that statement.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:52 PM

334 posts, read 847,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
Most people would most definitly not agreee with that statement.
Don't know which I would prefer, although if I was working in Albany, then Troy. However, I think the original comparison was Troy and Clifton Park (Saratoga County). In that case, I'd definitely pick Troy. Clifton Park is clean and most homes are well-maintained, but for everything else, Troy comes out ahead in my book.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM

52 posts, read 112,903 times
Wink Our visit was pleasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarchivist98 View Post
Don't know which I would prefer, although if I was working in Albany, then Troy. However, I think the original comparison was Troy and Clifton Park (Saratoga County). In that case, I'd definitely pick Troy. Clifton Park is clean and most homes are well-maintained, but for everything else, Troy comes out ahead in my book.
I don't know much about Troy but the week that I spent there with my daughter, It was nice and we were treated very well. , We live in Riverdale and I liked it. I do hope that she can find a partite job though while she is there.

She is going to school there in TROY...

Old 10-14-2013, 05:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhakis View Post
Hi. I moved away in 1990, so maybe I am not the person to ask. It is a kind of downtrodden city with some parts that are safe, and some that are not. It all depends on what kind of environment you want. Personally, I liked living downtown because I liked going to one bar. But I also saw many fights down there, not something I want to see daily.
you referring to Jillians or Savannahs? Both are out of business due to fights and landlord disputes, went to both and a lot of people from the ghetto would always frequent the venues, police would raid Jillians every sat night at closing time, I am glad jillians is gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area