U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,108 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, our family is relocating to the Saratoga Springs area this summer and we are trying to get information about special education in the area. So far I've made a few phone calls, but folks are very closed mouthed (i.e massively unhelpful!). I suspect that schools do not want you to cherry pick....However, our son requires intensive services (he's autistic and mentally retarded, nine years old) and needs a dedicated special ed class. So we are trying to find out where in Saratoga Springs this classroom would be (normally in a town of that size the class will be located at one or two schools only). Without knowing where the school is we will have trouble finding a place to live....the chicken and the egg syndrome...If anyone has any clue, please post. Thanks SJM
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 PM

69,522 posts, read 96,350,860 times
Try here:Saratoga Springs City School District

Saratoga Springs City School District

Old 04-15-2009, 06:44 AM

Thanks for your reply, I'd been to that site previously and although it gives the appearance of having a lot of info, but it really doesn't give the specifics I need. I need to know the specific schools that have what is called "dedicated special ed classroom" for my son's age group. If you go to the individual school sites, the info is also very limited and "outsiders" do not have access to teacher lists, for example (that would give me an idea of the special ed services of each school, for instance) Thanks for your input, however .

Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM

267 posts, read 905,504 times
I actually don't think you should call the school about it at all. I'd try and call state level agencies, find support groups of parents and ask their opinions.

http://www.saratogacountyny.gov/upload/prguide113.pdf (pages seem to be missing, but maybe you could call for a hardcopy)
Albany Chapter Autism Society of America
New York Families for Autistic Children

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Yes, thanks j12308...turns out that's what we're doing. We've talked to Parent-to-Parent and a few other agencies and are putting out a few "feelers" among family members we have in the area (who know someone who knows someone, who knows someone, etc.). So little by little we're making progress...Thanks for your suggestions! I'll check them out. sj.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area