U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 13,140 times

Advertisements

Hello ! I am looking to buy a home in the Capital Region. My goal is to buy property in an up-and-coming area of the Capital Region. I hear Troy is on the upswing, however the taxes and poor school systems (from what I have read) have me questioning whether this is the right decision. Does anyone have any input as to what would be a good investment property (low taxes, good school systems) in the Capital Region? Also, any input on the Troy area would be much appreciated. I am looking at single family homes priced below $100k and plan to do renovations to the property. Thanks for all of your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM

80 posts, read 340,679 times
I feel you are correct about Troy, it is on an upswing...how much of an upswing remains to be seen. You are also correct about its high taxes and crime rate in most areas.

Anything in the immediate Capital District priced below 100k would be ghetto property. Questionable whether rehabilitating it would be worth your while.

Just my two cents.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:25 PM

69,470 posts, read 96,316,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
I feel you are correct about Troy, it is on an upswing...how much of an upswing remains to be seen. You are also correct about its high taxes and crime rate in most areas.

Anything in the immediate Capital District priced below 100k would be ghetto property. Questionable whether rehabilitating it would be worth your while.

Just my two cents.
Here's information about Troy's crime rate:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

and more Troy info.://www.city-data.com/city/Troy-New-York.html

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 04:53 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM

80 posts, read 340,679 times
ckhthankgod,

I'm not sure what side your post was meant to represent. It seems to allude to the fact that crime in Troy is off the charts. Was that you intention?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:36 PM

69,470 posts, read 96,316,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
ckhthankgod,

I'm not sure what side your post was meant to represent. It seems to allude to the fact that crime in Troy is off the charts. Was that you intention?
No, it was to show what the crime is like for the city overall. From what I see, it doesn't seem to be that bad, to be honest. I just wanted to know what was so "scary" about Troy. It just seemed to be to hard to believe.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 13,140 times
Thanks for your help! My search will continue =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area