Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,018 times

Advertisements

We are a young lesbian couple moving from Ithaca to the Capital area so one of us can attend Albany law. Having lived in Ithaca, which is very liberal, we would like to find a similar area of the Capital area to live in. Preferably a walkable area with off-street parking. We're looking to either rent for under $900 a month (something like a half of a house) or buy a house for under $110K. We own a house now, so going back to a small apartment within the city would be difficult for us. I know finding a house within Albany for that price in a nice area would be pretty impossible, so we wouldn't mind living in a small liberal town similar to Trumansburg (near Ithaca), but an easy commute to Albany law would take precedence. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by exithacans; 04-12-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 PM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
I think the Lark Street area of Albany would fit the bill. Lark Street - The Albany Life.com - Albany, NY Hotels, Restaurants and Attractions (http://www.thealbanylife.com/lark-street/lark-street.html - broken link)

Here's a website you might be interested in as well:CDGLCC:Local LGBT Social and Support Groups

I hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:28 PM

291 posts, read 954,285 times
Check out the area around the hospitals (St Peters/Albany Med) too. Downtown albany doesn't offer much off-street parking. GL!

Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 AM

33 posts, read 232,513 times
Lark Street or State Street should be the places you look at then.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 AM

33 posts, read 232,513 times
I used to drive through Trumansburg on the way to Ithaca when I went to visit someone. Nice memories!

Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM

135 posts, read 546,159 times
Saratoga Springs is nice--but a bit of a commute (half hour to 40 mins)

Old 04-19-2009, 03:48 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,939,799 times
I think you are in for a very pleasant surprise - the capital district is very supportive of the gay community just about wherever you go. Some beautiful brownstones in the mansion neighborhood have been converted to chopped rentals & are walkable to so much. State Street bordering Washington Park (across the park from the Madison Ave. side) is a great place to start. It's walkable to the Law school; Lark Street shops & pubs, to the plaza for downtown events.

Also check out the Pine Hills area a bit west of downtown. Lots of college rentals, but still very many established streets that are not as rowdy. I rented the lower half of a house in the Town of Knox, about a 25 minute drive to the law school/AMCH campuses. My landladies were (are!) gay and expressed to me many times that they felt most of the area surrounding Albany is very LGBT-friendly. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:53 PM

4 posts, read 9,781 times
I'd recommend Center Sq. I'm gay, a recent law grad, and have lots of gay friends in the neighborhood (where I also happen to live).

PS- My husband and I went to Cornell and found the transition to Albany pretty easy. Similar social scene to Ithaca, at least w/r/t gay guys....

Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 AM

57 posts, read 162,209 times
Basically almost anywhere in the capital district and your good, we lub everyone in upstate.. but yeah down town albany is really friendly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area