U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 11,036 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

We presently live in Ohio and I work in the Cleveland area. I have a job offer from Albany and my spouse "might" get an offer from Stamford, CT. I looked at the map and it looks like the distance is about 3+ hrs. So, obviously a daily commute is not possible. They are both good jobs, so I was wondering how we might make this work. For example, is there some way we can live in Albany and my spouse can take the train to Stamford. When I checked, it seems you have to go to Penn station and then take another train to Stamford.
Or by taking local roads, is it possible to drive east and then south to Stamford. Eventually, of course, we hope to move one of the jobs over :-)

Thanks for all help !
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,632,781 times
What you "can" do is live in Dutchess county. Dutchess is the 1/2way point between albany and nyc.

It just depends on how much you are willing to commute out.

The commute from Dutchess to stamford (which MANY MANY PEOPLE DO...AS WELL AS NYC, NJ).

Search City Data on Dutchess...its growing like crazy..and alot of people are moving up here. Its got the suburban feel of Dublin in columbus...if you have ever been there.

That would probably be the only way to make it work...and of course you would need to drive.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:47 PM

34 posts, read 198,039 times
it is probably 130 miles, albany to stamford. the newburgh area, perhaps. it is right off the thruway, a quick all highway 80 miles to albany. probably 60- miles to stamford. the only thing is, bad weather would make some work day commutes impossible,either to work or coming home. prepare weather to seriously affect your commute 20-30 days a year.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:24 AM

421 posts, read 1,042,354 times
I just wanted to add something about the train situation. If the train from Albany comes into Penn Station, your spouse will have to go to Grand Central via subway or taxi to get the train that goes to Stamford. There are no trains to CT that run from Penn directly.

And how far from the train station in Stamford will your spouse's job be? That station is not smack in the middle of the city and Stamford is pretty spread out. The area around the train station wasn't great last time I was there, but that may have changed. If it's not walking distance, then there's yet another additional expense of a taxi or a car that get's left at the train station to go back and forth to the office. Even if the car is a "beater" it will still need to be registered, insured, etc, and then add parking to that, etc etc.

For me, no job would be worth all that trouble, even if you decided to commute by car every day. Life's too short to spend 3 or 4 hours in a car every day to get to work. You'd be putting a couple of thousand miles on the car every month, gas is back to $3 a gallon, and people drive like idiots.

Good luck to you. Let us know what you decided.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:06 PM

72 posts, read 338,536 times
There has been some good advice here, but the best advice may be that this is not a survivable commute.

You could never train it from Albany to NYC and then Stamford on a daily basis - way too long. Probably 3.5 hours if you count waiting for a train and all the stops, possible delays.

You might live in around Hopewell Junction and tough it out - you'd both have 90 minute commutes. For a year or 2 that wouldn't be that awful. However, if commuting on the Taconic Parkway, you have to be careful. There are no lights and more fatalities on that road than any other according to a State Trooper who was kind enough to give me a warning for going 65mph in a 50mph zone. Snow makes this impossible, so the NY Thruway and Newburgh might be the better option.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 PM

34 posts, read 198,039 times
the taconic parkway is beautiful but very dangerous. s=l=o-w! i would go no faster than 65. furry creatures (deer) roam all over it. and the cops are always lurking, even if the road seems empty.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 AM

72 posts, read 338,536 times
The State Trooper actually told me that he has been on the scene with multiple fatalities where the people were going 60-65 mph on the Taconic. He strongly recommended going slower. He told me if you drive it everyday at 65 it won't be long before something happens! Seems hard to believe, but I'm taking his advice.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,291,253 times
I agree - the Taconic is seriously dangerous. We had a country house in Dutchess County and the best way to get there was on the Taconic. It was often VERY scary and it's a narrow road, with BARELY enough room for two lanes in either direction. SLOW is a GOOD idea!

Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 AM

100 posts, read 602,827 times
Dutchess is your best option. If you feel you need to go on a regular highway take I84 west and go on I87 north. Do not live in Orange COunty because the commute to Stamford would be hellish.

Dutchess is a better bet.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:41 AM

75 posts, read 277,989 times
I agree with many of the posts. I live in Albany (right in the city) and was offerred a job in Stamford just this past winter. They offerred to let me work from home, but I would have to go to the main office in CT once or twice a week. I didn't take it, but for reasons other than the drive. When I made the drive for the interviews it took me about 2.5 hours. Unless the companies are going to reimburse you for gas and tolls, you'll be spending an inordinate amount of $$ just getting to work and back. My current boss commutes from northern Westchester to a suburb of Albany. Even with his FAT salary, he just resigned after 6 years because of the commute - and they gave him a gas/toll allowance as well as a lease on an Accord every two years. I am trying to get a good paying job on Long Island so I can move back home (sigh), but can't find anything that I qualify for with my degrees that pays enough. Not trying to hijack a post, but anyone have the inside scoop on a good paying job opening in NYC/Nassau County/western Suffolk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area