Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times

Advertisements

Any good places to eat around Cobleskill or Howes Cave, NY ??

We are taking a trip up that way just my husband and myself (outing without the children) and are looking for a decent place to eat a lunch/dinner before we leave.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,853 times
Honestly, no. I live outside of Schoharie and generally have to travel into Albany or Schenectady for decent food. The only halfway decent place is a pizza place called Two Brothers From Naples (I think) and its right on the main street in Cobleskill. Otherwise, its all fast food.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 48,497 times
if you travel to Colonie on central ave there is a restraunt called Delmonicos. Its Fantastic

Old 05-31-2009, 02:09 PM

Delmonico's is good, but if they plan on travelling, I'm not sure that's where I would suggest. Try Butcher Block or The Barnsider, both are also in Colonie.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,162 times
The American Hotel in Sharon Springs has an award winning restaurant. There is also the George Mann Tory Tavern in Schoharie (located in an historic building). And There's a place in Cobleskill called A Taste of Europe. Each has a website. Can recommend the first two although it's been a while.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 AM

Even though I've lived in Schoharie County for 8 1/2 years, I've never been to any of those three you mentioned. I know Rachael Ray did an episode of one of her shows a few years ago where she went to the American Hotel. Tory Tavern in about five minutes from me, but the food seems to ritzy.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:39 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerBrink View Post
The American Hotel in Sharon Springs has an award winning restaurant. There is also the George Mann Tory Tavern in Schoharie (located in an historic building). And There's a place in Cobleskill called A Taste of Europe. Each has a website. Can recommend the first two although it's been a while.

I have been to the George Mann Tory Tavern many times, and recently. It's very, very good. A little further east is The Bears. (Delanson? Duanesburg?) They serve family style, but very nice. Chateaubriand, prime rib, nice heavy menu of entrées not usually made at home.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
I have been to the George Mann Tory Tavern many times, and recently. It's very, very good. A little further east is The Bears. (Delanson? Duanesburg?) They serve family style, but very nice. Chateaubriand, prime rib, nice heavy menu of entrées not usually made at home.
Mmm. I've heard excellent things about The Bears. Its in Duanesburg. I have a strong love for steak, but I've never been.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:00 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
Mmm. I've heard excellent things about The Bears. Its in Duanesburg. I have a strong love for steak, but I've never been.
It's worth checking out. The first time we went with friends who are regulars. When we went for the second time, we had the darnedest time finding their phone number to make reservations. We finally found an old matchbook from the Bears with their #. (Shows how long ago that was - all restaurants in NY are now non-smoking!)

We mentioned that to the owner & he said they purposely kept it unlisted at that time. They have a very small dining room and only wanted to rely on word of mouth. At that point, it was just him, his wife, and kids working there. You really do feel like you are in their home as guests. Well, until you get the bill! But still worth it!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM

633 posts, read 1,949,994 times
Default Bulls Head Inn Restaurant

The Bulls Head is in Cobleskill next to the theater. It has new owners, my wife and I have eaten there 3 times since march 09, we travel up there.

Also try the Worcester Inn in Worcester, we want to next time up, they have a website to check out.

Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Any good places to eat around Cobleskill or Howes Cave, NY ??

We are taking a trip up that way just my husband and myself (outing without the children) and are looking for a decent place to eat a lunch/dinner before we leave.
Any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area