Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 PM

145 posts, read 498,824 times

Advertisements

I suggest renting a car and going for a drive in Florida- Florida drivers will make to want to move back North quick.
Why would you want to leave Saratoga - if you have a job and can afford a place to live there you are livin my dream.... I seriously can't see why you would want to leave. :-)
Watch "An Inconvenient Truth" if the polar ice cap melts then the state of Florida is history anyway... eeeke!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmtklein View Post
I suggest renting a car and going for a drive in Florida- Florida drivers will make to want to move back North quick.
Why would you want to leave Saratoga - if you have a job and can afford a place to live there you are livin my dream.... I seriously can't see why you would want to leave. :-)
Watch "An Inconvenient Truth" if the polar ice cap melts then the state of Florida is history anyway... eeeke!
True! I would absolutely love to be living in Saratoga. Or anyplace in Upstate NY. So many people don't realize how great they have it upstate. A little snow is enough to make people relocate 1,000 miles south. I recently lost a job offer in Binghamton, which isn't nearly as nice as Saratoga Springs, and I was all set to move when it fell through a few days ago . Needless to say, I'm quite upset, but at least I am now focused on moving to Pennsylvania, which is a bit closer to NYS

Anyone unhappy in NY State should come to New Jersey. We have less snow, for sure. And, there is tons of money here, along with 8.2 million people stepping over each other to get their hands on some of it......

Old 04-21-2007, 12:32 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,253 times
Angry Saratoga Springs

AIf you value your sanity don't move to Fl. I was a New Jersey girl and got dragged to the Fl. some years ago, most of what everyone else says is absolutely true........what you think your going to save tax wise is eaten up by other things to make your life in Fl. more comfortable........now you say cockerroaches, we have palmetto bugs the size of a small VW, so you spray the inside of your house and granules on the outside, plus spray the lawn to keep chinch bugs from eatting the lawn, lawns need water to survive, so you water, the flower beds need water.......then there are moles, that love the grass to eat, you spend roughly $1,200 a yr to keep your lawn alive and green
Mold......another problem, patio furniture goes into the pool every 3 months so the cholrine can clean off the mold, true your roof needs to be cleaned
because mold gets on the roof and then you have black marks all over.
You will need weather clothing after being here awhile, the blood thins and you will feel cold with temps below 70...........so your not going to save on clothing. The school system stinks, they'd rather you drop out then graduate
some of the teachers are here because they can't make it in Northern states.
Pools........need alot of attention, because of the heat chorline gets eaten up fairly quickly......a constant watch that the pool doesn't turn green and if its marcite will pit, so you have to have it redone every 10 yrs or so.
A/C..........you go from a A/C house to car to store.........that electric bill the rates keep climbing and the A/C runs continually....A/C units last about 15 yrs and need to be replaces..........roofs same thing need to be replaced.
Appliances don't last as long because of power surges. Car Batteries don't last because of heat. More divorces in the state of Fl. because of HEAT
and money problems.........many people come to Fl. to dump their spouses because Fl. divorce is fairly quick and easy. Need I say more. Fl. stinks.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:45 PM

672 posts, read 904,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
I don't understand how all of these things exist and yet it continues to be an oasis for my father and brother....Keep convincing me....any other stories from people who moved to Florida from NY and then moved back????
When I was in my early 20s a friend, Florida native, talked me into moving to Florida where he was going to school. Now you would think a young person would LOVE living in a Florida college town? Wrong. I hated it. I put myself on a Greyhound bus back to NY right in time for Christmas and to see SNOW. Let me see where to start.

1. Endless summer, heat, humidity, and beaches. I would rather shovel 20 inches of snow, they fry my body or my brain on a beach.
2. BUGS - ICK! Every species of insect known to man. What the hell IS that thing????? Some so big you could ride them.
3. Southern attitude. If you haven't experienced it, you don't know what you are missing (sic.).
4. Food. Fake pizza and bagels. "You want WHAT?"
5. "Thanksgiving dinner (BBQ turkey) won't be ready for a while". "Do you want to go to the beach"? No, no, no. I want to pick pumpkins, pick apples, look at brightly colored LEAVES." I don't want to go swimming in JULY, let alone NOVEMBER.
6. Palm Trees. I never wanted to see another PALM TREE in my life. When the palms dry up and fall to the ground, they are really gross, ugly things.
When leaves turn colors and fall to the ground, they are BEAUTIFUL.
7. Santas under PALM TREES. Christmas Lights on PALM TREES. Noooooooooo!!

Unfortunately, now 30 years later I have to go back there. No choice. My husband was out of work for almost a year here and got a job in Florida. UGH. He has been living there now for almost 3 years, while I stayed in NY until my daughter graduated. And now she is. Hopefully, I can shut my eyes, ears, nose, and especially mouth, for a couple of years until he can retire and we can get OUT OF THERE. No, I don't think he is very happy there either.

My advice is don't go if you have a choice. You can take the "boy/girl" out of New York, but your cannot take New York out of the "boy/girl".

Old 04-21-2007, 06:19 PM

74 posts, read 343,271 times
Thanks for all your advice, and this is my home in Saratoga. It would be hard to leave my dream home and nice property just because I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. All of you have REALLY put me into perspective. You don't even know. Thank you again
Attached Thumbnails
Live in Lovely Saratoga Springs, convince me not to move to FL-p1010040.jpg  

Old 04-21-2007, 10:39 PM

24 posts, read 126,151 times
Default Be careful what you wish for

we moved out west 2 years ago and are now in the process of moving back east, even though things look greener on the other side its not always that way,

people are different here in the west, weather is totally different and you'll be surprised at what you will miss that good ol NY has to offer.
Good luck

Old 04-22-2007, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,653 times
Default Stay in NY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!...ROFLOL with each and every word I read here - it's all too true!
I'm a displaced NYC girl living in Orlando, FL for too long now. We're trying (researching & saving) to move out of here and up to upstate NY. Bring on the cold weather, snow, grey skies and dreary weather - we're ready for it because now we know better!
If you must ...spend a few weeks on a beachfront condo in Sarasota each year just to replenish your soul (perhaps in Jan or Feb)... then go back home to civility!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:02 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
Thanks for all your advice, and this is my home in Saratoga. It would be hard to leave my dream home and nice property just because I have Seasonal Affective Disorder. All of you have REALLY put me into perspective. You don't even know. Thank you again
Buy one of those light boxes that help with SAD. It's a lot cheaper than moving! Supposedly they are very effective.
I guess in Florida you'll have HAD: heat affective disorder where if you have another 95 degree day with the usual 3 pm looks like the end of the world thunderstorm,you'll blow your brains out!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:28 PM

74 posts, read 343,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbasset View Post
WOW!...ROFLOL with each and every word I read here - it's all too true!
I'm a displaced NYC girl living in Orlando, FL for too long now. We're trying (researching & saving) to move out of here and up to upstate NY. Bring on the cold weather, snow, grey skies and dreary weather - we're ready for it because now we know better!
If you must ...spend a few weeks on a beachfront condo in Sarasota each year just to replenish your soul (perhaps in Jan or Feb)... then go back home to civility!
What didn't you like about Orlando and why are you chosing upstate? ..... Saratoga is a great town,especially in the summer with the NYC ballet and Philli orchestra, of course Lake George....See I feel better about where I live already! Thanks

Old 04-23-2007, 03:37 PM

145 posts, read 498,824 times
Default What are those light boxes called?

[quote=fopt65;612628]Buy one of those light boxes that help with SAD. It's a lot cheaper than moving! Supposedly they are very effective.
QUOTE]

Hey What are those light boxes called? I am moving back to NY from Colorado where we have 285 days of sun shine a year - I'm gonna need one of those boxes - have no clue how to even research them since I don't know what they are called....

Here is another tidbit about Florida - Rats live in trees there - they crawl off the trees on to your roof and find ventilation holes into your house - then you have new pets..... sweeet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area