Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:55 PM

111 posts, read 263,335 times

Advertisements

I agree with almost everyone on here...please don't move to Florida!

It's simply not all it's cracked up to be. I've lived in a lot of places, and Saratoga is where I lived for about...oh, just under 4 years. I lived in Africa (Zambia, Africa), for 4 years, too, Oklahoma City for about 3 years, and in Syracuse for the rest. I've been to 9 countries and 49 states, and I've lived in many cities in New York.

As far as convenience, I would say that Syracuse, my home now, is the best for me. It's where I work, and am heavily involved in my church here.

But my happiest memories, by far, are in Saratoga Springs.

We lived on Nichols Road, a little road etched into the beautiful country there. Every Tuesday, we'd go down to Ernie's and get some chili dogs. We would go to Robin's video rental and once, she even let us rent a game for our nintendo for free. You see what I'm saying?

Memories (I seem to be learning this as I'm growing), at the end of the day and in the end of a period of life, are all that matter. How did I live today? This year? This decade? My whole life?

And while we will all evaluate actions and we will factor our financial and relational aspects in there...memories will certainly, indubitably mean the most.

It's a weird feeling...missing something that you've never had. But I miss the memories that could have been formed if I still lived there. I know it sound weird...you probably think I'm a psycho right now...but I just think: "What if I was in Saratoga one last time?"

I spent the best years of my life in Saratoga. I had a blast. It was wonderful.

I hope you stay in Saratoga. Live for the memories that I missed.

Thanks for reading, friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 61,875 times
I currently live in St Pete, Fl-been here 21 years. I grew up in central/northern NY. I am moving back to Syracuse next year-I wholeheartedly agree with everything homeward bound says-I do not recommend moving to Florida. Of course if you insist I have a nice house I can sell you!!

Old 04-23-2007, 06:11 PM

74 posts, read 343,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1611 View Post
I agree with almost everyone on here...please don't move to Florida!

It's simply not all it's cracked up to be. I've lived in a lot of places, and Saratoga is where I lived for about...oh, just under 4 years. I lived in Africa (Zambia, Africa), for 4 years, too, Oklahoma City for about 3 years, and in Syracuse for the rest. I've been to 9 countries and 49 states, and I've lived in many cities in New York.

As far as convenience, I would say that Syracuse, my home now, is the best for me. It's where I work, and am heavily involved in my church here.

But my happiest memories, by far, are in Saratoga Springs.

We lived on Nichols Road, a little road etched into the beautiful country there. Every Tuesday, we'd go down to Ernie's and get some chili dogs. We would go to Robin's video rental and once, she even let us rent a game for our nintendo for free. You see what I'm saying?

Memories (I seem to be learning this as I'm growing), at the end of the day and in the end of a period of life, are all that matter. How did I live today? This year? This decade? My whole life?

And while we will all evaluate actions and we will factor our financial and relational aspects in there...memories will certainly, indubitably mean the most.

It's a weird feeling...missing something that you've never had. But I miss the memories that could have been formed if I still lived there. I know it sound weird...you probably think I'm a psycho right now...but I just think: "What if I was in Saratoga one last time?"

I spent the best years of my life in Saratoga. I had a blast. It was wonderful.

I hope you stay in Saratoga. Live for the memories that I missed.

Thanks for reading, friend.
Wow, both my husband and I read this together and were very touched. I appreciate the time you have taken to help someone who is reaching out...and a decision that would affect the rest of my families lives.

Memories...I agree, this weekend we took our 2 girls in the bike carrier over the bridge that crosses the beautiful creek, onto the bike path where we rode to Stewarts to have ice cream. That day I was living a dream and created memories, for me and my girls.

Going from mall to mall is not for me in Florida, nor do I want huge rats and large bugs. I'll stick to my black flies thank you very much
To everyone, thank you for helping me. Saratoga is now my home

Old 04-23-2007, 06:20 PM

17 posts, read 60,069 times
WOW, its amazing the perceptions that are drawn on Florida. It was fun reading some posts. Especially the one of the cockroaches infesting everywhere.

I can't speak for anyone else and there experiences. I've always said that the best place to live is where you are happy inside and can enjoy your life and watch your kids grow.

After discharging from the Marine Corps in 03 I came back to NY ( Long Island) and found it extremely hard to maintain my family there. From taxes to car insurance to quality of living i made the trek to Tampa and moved my family down. It has been a blessing to me as I eventually sold and invested in real estate down here and partnered in a business venture that turned out great for my wife and I.

There was a comment about the communities being isolated and segregated. I could not disagree more with that statement. In NY I only knew a few neighbors and your community had no system of interaction. Where I live FishHawk Ranch is one of the best communities in the State if not the country and not because of home prices but because of the interaction systems provided for the communities. My "subdivision alone has 10 co-ed softball teams that get together every sat to play each other and in the process I meet new people evrytime I go there.

I'm not saying its perfect, no place is. But I have found my paradise and that is the most important thing regardless of location. So save the rhetoric and do not sit there and knock something you never experienced over a long term. If youre happy where you live then it is your paradise. Do not get mad or bring down others because they are in search of there internal happiness.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,199 times
oorah devildog

Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
[quote=hmtklein;616263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Buy one of those light boxes that help with SAD. It's a lot cheaper than moving! Supposedly they are very effective.
QUOTE]

Hey What are those light boxes called? I am moving back to NY from Colorado where we have 285 days of sun shine a year - I'm gonna need one of those boxes - have no clue how to even research them since I don't know what they are called....

Here is another tidbit about Florida - Rats live in trees there - they crawl off the trees on to your roof and find ventilation holes into your house - then you have new pets..... sweeet.
Just google SAD light boxes, and a ton of different sites come up which you can order them from. I believe they also sell just special light bulbs that you could use in a lamp.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:17 PM

34,914 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
We live in Saratoga Springs and enjoy all of the opportunities here for families and education system. We have family in the Boca Raton area of FLorida that for the past 7 years have tried to convince us to move to Floirda. Well after our trip to Disney, and the never ending winter, I have thought about moving. The problem is that I like everything here except the winters. Is it worth moving my whole family just for sunny skies???? Does anyone have any insight on this?
I haven't read everyone's response to the OP but why would anyone move to Florida when the heat keeps you indoors a LOT longer than the winter does up north? Lets not forget that in addition to hurricane season, there is Love Bug season. Love Bugs (as my Florida branch of the family calls them) are palmeto bugs (or giant flying cockaroaches) that for several weeks plague everyone.

Also why would you leave a charming area like Saratoga for an overpopulated sprawling area with little or no character or history at all? In Florida they build buildings to mimic the architecture of the north (the Saratoga Springs resort at Disney World comes to mind). Doesn't make sense to me. no matter where you live there are issues. Visiting a place for a week or two on vacation does not mean you will like to live there year round. Think very carefully before you make a move. Jay

Old 04-25-2007, 02:36 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,482 times
Default Stay in NY

Reading all the comments, about North v South, Saratoga Springs is such a beautiful place, as a little girl my folks were there on vacation, we went to the racetrack where mom won a few races and I even picked a winner.
I've read many posts about leaving one area for another and what struck me was a comment about "go where your heart leads you". so true. As you get older you remember more and more about the pleasant things that happened in your life, cherish them.

Fl. has good points and bad, I personally don't like Fl. I think it is rough on children and especially on teens, young families have to sometimes struggle financially because wages are low here, $6.35. Health care is iffy at best
school districts, some are good, others not so good.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do, but if it were me
I would stay in Saratoga and build more memories.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:59 PM

944 posts, read 3,846,978 times
Homewardbound, as always, took my words! Here a few photos of the St. Petersburg Area:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/EastBay.jpg (broken link)

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/Mace.jpg (broken link)

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/muggyFL/Traffic-1.jpg (broken link)

My apologies for posting these photos over and over again, but Florida is bizarre in ways that most people from NY can't imagine. Please visit the "Worst of Florida" thread for more information.

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...s-stories.html

I will live in Florida for a few more years, but when my wife and I start a family, we'll be out as soon as the little ones reach school age... back to Upstate, of course.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I haven't read everyone's response to the OP but why would anyone move to Florida when the heat keeps you indoors a LOT longer than the winter does up north? Lets not forget that in addition to hurricane season, there is Love Bug season. Love Bugs (as my Florida branch of the family calls them) are palmeto bugs (or giant flying cockaroaches) that for several weeks plague everyone.

Also why would you leave a charming area like Saratoga for an overpopulated sprawling area with little or no character or history at all? In Florida they build buildings to mimic the architecture of the north (the Saratoga Springs resort at Disney World comes to mind). Doesn't make sense to me. no matter where you live there are issues. Visiting a place for a week or two on vacation does not mean you will like to live there year round. Think very carefully before you make a move. Jay

I am a Florida resident from NY & am amazed at some of the negative answers given about living here & some misinformation.

Yes Florida is hot from June through mid-October, but it's not that you are house-bound for fear of heat stroke!! Almost every lanai has ceiling fans & most homes have a swimming pool & if you are near the coast there is a seabreeze 90% of the time. Nothing like puttin' on some island music & lounging in the pool with a tiki drink!! There are tons of nature trails & preserves that are shaded over by oaks & sabals that are beautiful with bromeliads & wild orchids clustered all over them. Ibises & herons are almost constant companions as well as seranades by mockingbirds & other songbirds.

Because we don't have a "freeze" period, yes we do have bugs 365 days a year, but we don't live in a swamp...and as to the Love Bugs, they are small black bugs that live just to mate. They are kinda cute & the only bad thing about them is they smash into your car if you drive through a bunch of them.

Palmetto bugs are larger cockroach-type bugs which also don't bother me much. (I grew up in a tenement in NYC & we had East River waterbugs that were TWICE the size of the Palmettos). As long as you don't have piles of debris around you should be fine.

As to hurricanes, yes we do get 1 every now & then. I've been in the eye of 4 of them. Kinda scary, but if you are sensible ( when I had my house built I had them put in extra tie beams, roof strapping, etc to make it a fortress) the house should make it through all but a Cat 5 (which chances of a direct hit by 1 are probably less than being hit by lightning). We also get a tornado every now & then, but when I lived near Poughkeepsie NY 1 went through my backyard & missed the house by about 20 feet!! Took off some shingles, but thank God that was all!! It did twist our mature cedar trees like corkscrews & snap them which was kinda awe-inspiring!! Guess no matter where you live there's always some natural disaster...

Overall I am very happy I made the move!! If you are considering moving to Florida, my best recommendation is to 1st do some homework to see which part appeals to you. (Florida's a BIG state with 3 climate zones...north Fl is hilly & less tropical & usually gets a freeze in the winter/central Fl is semi-hilly & a bit more tropical but can get a freeze every now & then/south Fl is flat & more tropical & a freeze is possible but unlikely). Then when you settle on a part of the state start investigating towns/cities & see which appeals to you. Then when you've narrowed it down, see if you can rent for a few months to see if it's for you. Don't just make a decision based on a week's vacation sitting at the Tiki Bar downing Mango Daiquiris!!

I live in Stuart which is on the east coast a bit north of West Palm Beach & have learned quite a bit from living here, so if there's any help I can offer you or questions I can (try to) answer just let me know!!

Good luck in your decision making!!
Take care!!
Jungle George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area