U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 11:12 PM

39 posts, read 42,832 times

Advertisements

1) Just curious, do you get MSG up in the Capital Region?
-If so, do you get the NYC feed that gives you all the Rangers/Isles/Devils and Knicks games or do you get the Buffalo feed?
-Did you always get MSG or has it just been in recent years?
-Did you used to get Empire/Sabre games beforehand?

2) I think I read somewhere that in the last few years since Empire collapsed MSG began airing Sabre games and for some idiotic reason, anywhere in NY State about Dutchess/Ulster County the Sabres were considered the "local" team and given priority over the Rangers, meaning if they both played at the same time only the Sabre game would show and the Rangers could only air 50 or so games a year.

-I wanted to know if this is true and if so, why the NHL would do this and how the locals have reacted.
-To me it seems really stupid and invasion of the Rangers rights that they would not get all of their games aired in the Capital Region since it is so much closer to NYC (3 hours) than Buffalo.
Even more when you consider the Capital Region is much more influenced by big market NYC culturally, economically, and politically than small market further away Buffalo.

3) I wanted to know if this is the case, what if any rationale exisits, and how the locals have responded.
-Has there been an uprising and any chance/calls for MSG to reverse itself and air Ranger games as priority?
-Has the area started to change and become more of a Sabre base or do you think this going to diminish the Rangers local following?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 01:31 PM

57 posts, read 151,711 times
Hi, i live in schenectady and am a big penguins fan..

We get MSG and MSGplus which shows sabre's and Rangers games, and devils.. I think the Rangers get priority if they play, they are on T.V. .. i'm right outside of albany.

If so, do you get the NYC feed that gives you all the Rangers/Isles/Devils and Knicks?? --we get that feed as a priority

for 199 you can get every game for every team tho, keep that in mind..

Go Penguins!!

Old 10-18-2009, 05:33 PM

451 posts, read 634,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifled View Post
1) Just curious, do you get MSG up in the Capital Region?
-If so, do you get the NYC feed that gives you all the Rangers/Isles/Devils and Knicks games or do you get the Buffalo feed?
-Did you always get MSG or has it just been in recent years?
-Did you used to get Empire/Sabre games beforehand?

2) I think I read somewhere that in the last few years since Empire collapsed MSG began airing Sabre games and for some idiotic reason, anywhere in NY State about Dutchess/Ulster County the Sabres were considered the "local" team and given priority over the Rangers, meaning if they both played at the same time only the Sabre game would show and the Rangers could only air 50 or so games a year.

-I wanted to know if this is true and if so, why the NHL would do this and how the locals have reacted.
-To me it seems really stupid and invasion of the Rangers rights that they would not get all of their games aired in the Capital Region since it is so much closer to NYC (3 hours) than Buffalo.
Even more when you consider the Capital Region is much more influenced by big market NYC culturally, economically, and politically than small market further away Buffalo.

3) I wanted to know if this is the case, what if any rationale exisits, and how the locals have responded.
-Has there been an uprising and any chance/calls for MSG to reverse itself and air Ranger games as priority?
-Has the area started to change and become more of a Sabre base or do you think this going to diminish the Rangers local following?
Theres an online petition to remove the Sabres in Utica and Albany areas.

This map is a decent indication of where hockey fanbases are. The Sabres arent popular east of Syracuse.

Also, keep in mind college votes that may skew things (ie: Boston fans in Ithaca).

Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,744 times
MSG mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area