Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 AM

207 posts, read 643,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza 1313 View Post
i was told (from californian people) that the mentality on the east coast is different then the one hier,people are more conservative,not laid back,distante and so on,is this true?
I think there is some truth to it. However, I think it is partially due to the weather and partially to transplants moving to CA to live that lifestyle. Nobody moves to upstate NY for that kind of lifestyle. Most of the people that I know that live here are here for either family or work. I think that is less the case in CA. Also, it is easier to be laid back when it is 72F outside than when it is 0F.

Quote:
we pay 2500 rent hier in california(good area with excellent school),it looks rents are not so high there...what about prices generally?food,gas,clothes..and so on..
Rent should be cheaper here than CA. I think that food is probably a bit more expensive here, but otherwise most things are similar. I would check into taxes - they are high in both states, but in different ways. We pay less for some things like car registration, etc.

Quote:
does california has better schools and colleges then new york or the other way?
New York has much better K-12 schools, but California has a better public university system.

Google 'prop 13 public schools'. California is very interesting in that they basically decided to pay very low property taxes (in a percentage sense; housing there is expensive, so the absolute amount they pay is high) at the cost of reduced funding for public education. They went from having some of the best K-12 schools in the nation to some of the worst in a short period of time.

New York, on the other hand, has some of the highest property taxes in the nation, but also has quite good K-12 schools.

California has maintained an excellent public university system, but it remains to be seen if that will survive their budget crisis without a substantial reduction in quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 12:06 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post
I think there is some truth to it. However, I think it is partially due to the weather and partially to transplants moving to CA to live that lifestyle. Nobody moves to upstate NY for that kind of lifestyle. Most of the people that I know that live here are here for either family or work. I think that is less the case in CA. Also, it is easier to be laid back when it is 72F outside than when it is 0F.

Rent should be cheaper here than CA. I think that food is probably a bit more expensive here, but otherwise most things are similar. I would check into taxes - they are high in both states, but in different ways. We pay less for some things like car registration, etc.

New York has much better K-12 schools, but California has a better public university system.

Google 'prop 13 public schools'. California is very interesting in that they basically decided to pay very low property taxes (in a percentage sense; housing there is expensive, so the absolute amount they pay is high) at the cost of reduced funding for public education. They went from having some of the best K-12 schools in the nation to some of the worst in a short period of time.

New York, on the other hand, has some of the highest property taxes in the nation, but also has quite good K-12 schools.

California has maintained an excellent public university system, but it remains to be seen if that will survive their budget crisis without a substantial reduction in quality.
I don't know about that, necessarily. There are some very good SUNY schools around the state like: Binghamton(probably the best), Geneseo(also very, very good), Univ. of Buffalo, Stony Brook, UAlbany, Oswego St.(good school for education and communications), Cortland St.(very good sports related and education programs) and others. There are some good community colleges in the system as well.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know about that, necessarily. There are some very good SUNY schools around the state like: Binghamton(probably the best), Geneseo(also very, very good), Univ. of Buffalo, Stony Brook, UAlbany, Oswego St.(good school for education and communications), Cortland St.(very good sports related and education programs) and others. There are some good community colleges in the system as well.
I wasn't trying to imply that NY has a poor public university system. There are some great public universities here as well, but CA has an exceptional public university system. UC Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD routinely rank as some of the top public universities in the country.

According to the US News and World Report best college ranking for 2009 (yes, it's a flawed ranking), the UC system has 6 of the top 20 public schools in the nation, including ranks 1 and 3 for UC Berkely and UCLA, respectively. SUNY Binghamton has the highest rank in NY at 34.

Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Old 08-16-2009, 05:49 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Here's a good reference. I believe Delmar, a suburb of Albany, is in the Bethlehem school district. Albany itself is at the bottom.

Albany.com - 2008 Capital Region School Rankings For 11 Counties In Upstate NY
I can't believe my alma mater is number one! Awesome

The good thing about the AP program there is that you don't need to take a test or get teacher approval to get in. If you want to be in AP, you can get in AP.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 AM

138 posts, read 510,862 times
I agree with anothertntony. My family moved here from california last year and I have 3 children,two in school,one in middle school and the other in High school. They have alot more class choices and more nurses and counselors. In California the counselor had no idea who my child was even after we had a meeting to discuss some issues. Here the counselor knew his name,his schedule. She even called me when she had an opening in a class she thought he might like.At his high school they have 2 full time nurses . In California they have A nurse that may visit one day a week.
I have heard froma many that they thought that California did have a higher quality college/university system,all around higher quality,for the price as well.
The OP must live in the bay area or LA area where the rent is higher than other places in CA but The rent here is much higher than I expected it to be.The cost of living is about the same in most aspects,except for heating.It is definately much higher here to heat your house in the winter. Yes it is obviously colder here but there is oil/propane/natural gas/electricity,any combo of these for your home and they can be very costly.It was a real surprise to have needed to spend so much for this.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:34 PM

93,319 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilover70 View Post
I agree with anothertntony. My family moved here from california last year and I have 3 children,two in school,one in middle school and the other in High school. They have alot more class choices and more nurses and counselors. In California the counselor had no idea who my child was even after we had a meeting to discuss some issues. Here the counselor knew his name,his schedule. She even called me when she had an opening in a class she thought he might like.At his high school they have 2 full time nurses . In California they have A nurse that may visit one day a week.
I have heard froma many that they thought that California did have a higher quality college/university system,all around higher quality,for the price as well.
The OP must live in the bay area or LA area where the rent is higher than other places in CA but The rent here is much higher than I expected it to be.The cost of living is about the same in most aspects,except for heating.It is definately much higher here to heat your house in the winter. Yes it is obviously colder here but there is oil/propane/natural gas/electricity,any combo of these for your home and they can be very costly.It was a real surprise to have needed to spend so much for this.
The cost of living is cheaper further Upstate. For instance, I lived in a nice apartment complex in the Northern suburbs of Syracuse, which was a 2 bedroom, with fitness room, community room and a car wash bay. I only paid between 595-620 a month and I lived there from 2003-2007.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:21 PM

187 posts, read 636,140 times
thanks a lot for all your answers..what about the winter?is it soo bad?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
thanks a lot for all your answers..what about the winter?is it soo bad?
It depends on the person. Some find it harsh (typically those from warmer climates) and some just consider it to be normal.

I am guessing that the winters here are harsher than in any large city in Germany. It is not uncommon to go a month or more without temperatures rising above freezing (or only doing so for a short period) and there tends to be snow cover through around the end of March. There also tend to be brutally cold stretches with lows at night below zero and wind chills around ten below zero at least once a year.

I flew back on New Year's Eve last year right after a snow storm and had to dig out my car with a wind chill of fifteen below zero.

(All temperatures in Fahrenheit)

Old 09-06-2009, 01:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post

Just for clarification... California has some excellent public schools... often the same school district will have both highly and bottom ranked schools.

I don't know how Prop 13 is detrimental to Public Schools... I live in Oakland CA and my city spends close to 16k per child for Public Education... Somehow, I don't think lack of money is the problem...

I doubt the OP lived in the Bay Area... at least not around San Francisco... it rarely gets hot here... even the East Bay is quite temperate unless you go further inland or South...

Old 09-06-2009, 04:32 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Just for clarification... California has some excellent public schools... often the same school district will have both highly and bottom ranked schools.

I don't know how Prop 13 is detrimental to Public Schools... I live in Oakland CA and my city spends close to 16k per child for Public Education... Somehow, I don't think lack of money is the problem...

I doubt the OP lived in the Bay Area... at least not around San Francisco... it rarely gets hot here... even the East Bay is quite temperate unless you go further inland or South...
Proposition 13 is the cause of school funding problems, in certain schools they have to have teacher-parent fundraisers for activities, but I do note that spending in California is high, in wealthier school districts or property wealthy ones such as Marin County, this really isn't a problem, however I read that funding is also shifted to the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area