U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 03:49 PM

17 posts, read 67,397 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I've just been offered a job in the Albany area and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it. I want to get out of southern CA to escape high cost of living, ridiculous traffic, and most of all....women who carry small dogs in tiny purses while wearing giant $1500 sunglasses. Is there any hope for a single guy in Albany or is the dating scene completely nonexistent as I've heard? I'm not a bar/nightclub type person so I really don't care about "night life," in the usual sense - just wondering if there are plenty of single people who are down-to-earth and not into the typical LA/NYC stuff (heavy drinking, night clubs, etc). Please be brutally honest since this is a pretty big decision - thanks!!

I should add that I'm 31 and caucasian

Last edited by PacEyeDoc; 08-13-2009 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: initial ommission
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM

57 posts, read 151,564 times
I've never had an issue.. I never been one to go out a ton..
Heck get a part time job (like 1 day a week) doing human service work.. the ration is like 90% women to men 10%..

Ofcourse, i'm married now *shrugs* wifey is great

Old 08-14-2009, 05:59 AM

9 posts, read 24,453 times
Default girls are the same everywhere

I think one of the new trends is carrying dogs in purses so you will find that everywhere. When looking for my yorkie, breeders were frustrated with people who wanted the "toy" dog. The $1500 sunglasses...that is crazy!

I have a 9lb athletic small dog who i do a lot with and even do agility with him, but I am down to earth. I can do things without him too. You're just meeting the wrong girls. Not sure if location is going to change that.

I know what you mean about the night scene. I am looking to move out of my area because I am not one to go to bars and that is all they do around here. Some of the smaller places in Upstate (especially those struggling with the economy) have little to do besides drinking. Very frustrating.

IceSkatingYorkie

Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM

69,440 posts, read 96,257,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacEyeDoc View Post
Hi Everyone,
I've just been offered a job in the Albany area and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it. I want to get out of southern CA to escape high cost of living, ridiculous traffic, and most of all....women who carry small dogs in tiny purses while wearing giant $1500 sunglasses. Is there any hope for a single guy in Albany or is the dating scene completely nonexistent as I've heard? I'm not a bar/nightclub type person so I really don't care about "night life," in the usual sense - just wondering if there are plenty of single people who are down-to-earth and not into the typical LA/NYC stuff (heavy drinking, night clubs, etc). Please be brutally honest since this is a pretty big decision - thanks!!

I should add that I'm 31 and caucasian
I think the people here are more down to earth types. Heck, you could probably meet someone at the library or supermarket. There are usually plenty of festivals in Upstate cities and that would also be a good place to meet people too.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,681,204 times
I'm gathering by your user name that you will have NO problem meeting young available & attractive women. The capital district has a lot of medical facilities
& a lot of colleges with post-grad programs, so IMO, you'll have a great time. If you are into hiking & the outdoors, you won't miss the nightlife so much.
I mean, it is here, but not even close to SoCal.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 PM

292 posts, read 898,557 times
I live here and I have 2 Great Danes.. they don't fit into any purses.. I'd move to So Cal in a NY minute..

Old 09-25-2010, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,370 times
California huh?? Cool

Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 PM

93 posts, read 228,120 times
Last 3 weddings I went to the couples met on match dot com. And all 3 are in the NY Metro area with so many people to meet in person. Seems that is the new way to meet people. I wonder if anyone meets the old-fashioned way anymore. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area