Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 03:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times

Advertisements

Which suburbs or cities should I look at if i am wanting safety, new subdivisions, generally a "newer town"..manicured lawns. No interest in more than 1/2 acre of land..even less is fine. Would like no more than a 30 minute commute into albany.

Researching for relatives. They are not the type to want to live in the boonies or farming community. They like new construction...the needs close to all major and minor shopping (dont want to drive down a country road 10 miles to the nearest CVS).

Would you say there is a decent sized south asian indian community in capital region? There prefer a mostly white colar upscale town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 03:31 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,099,361 times
don't know about the S Asian question, but to the rest I would recommend Delmar/Glenmont also Latham

Old 08-29-2009, 04:02 PM

93,218 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
don't know about the S Asian question, but to the rest I would recommend Delmar/Glenmont also Latham
Maybe Loudonville as well. Latham and Loudonville are in the North Colonie School District. 9% of the district's students are Asian. Test Scores for North Colonie Central School District | GreatSchools

Guilderland and Niskayuna are other areas to look at as well.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Which suburbs or cities should I look at if i am wanting safety, new subdivisions, generally a "newer town"..manicured lawns. No interest in more than 1/2 acre of land..even less is fine. Would like no more than a 30 minute commute into albany.

Researching for relatives. They are not the type to want to live in the boonies or farming community. They like new construction...the needs close to all major and minor shopping (dont want to drive down a country road 10 miles to the nearest CVS).

Would you say there is a decent sized south asian indian community in capital region? There prefer a mostly white colar upscale town.
We are former residents of the Capital Region who are of Asian Indian origin. There is definitely a sizable community, with even the usual regional associations (Telugu, Bengali, Kannada, etc.) as well as a fairly active music cultural society. I don't want to make any presumptions re: religious affiliation of the interested parties, but the attached link may be of help:

www.albanyhindutemple.org

The South Asian community is concentrated in Clifton Park (where we used to live), Delmar/Bethlehem, and Niskayuna. In Clifton Park, I would recommend staying close to Northway Exits 8 or 9 only (both happen to have CVS stores!). Other areas (e.g. Exits 8A and 10) will seem remote and one has to drive quite a bit to get to stores. We had very similar criteria...shopping had to be within a mile...and ended up near Exit 8.

Please PM me if you need more details. It's overall a great area to live for Asian Indians.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
We are former residents of the Capital Region who are of Asian Indian origin. There is definitely a sizable community, with even the usual regional associations (Telugu, Bengali, Kannada, etc.) as well as a fairly active music cultural society. I don't want to make any presumptions re: religious affiliation of the interested parties, but the attached link may be of help:

www.albanyhindutemple.org

The South Asian community is concentrated in Clifton Park (where we used to live), Delmar/Bethlehem, and Niskayuna. In Clifton Park, I would recommend staying close to Northway Exits 8 or 9 only (both happen to have CVS stores!). Other areas (e.g. Exits 8A and 10) will seem remote and one has to drive quite a bit to get to stores. We had very similar criteria...shopping had to be within a mile...and ended up near Exit 8.

Please PM me if you need more details. It's overall a great area to live for Asian Indians.
Is the Asian population in Guilderland and Colonie more East Asians or are there South Asians in those communities too?

Also, does Schenectady, which has a Guyanese population, have people of South Asian descent by way of Guyana there too?

Old 08-30-2009, 05:40 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Schenectady's population is almost 10% people of Guyanese descent, many of whose ancestors came from South Asia. There are typically cultural differences between this group and those who immigrate directly from South Asia.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Schenectady's population is almost 10% people of Guyanese descent, many of whose ancestors came from South Asia. There are typically cultural differences between this group and those who immigrate directly from South Asia.
I figured that, as the ones from Guyana are probably more assimilated to that society/culture.

Also, many are of a mixed South Asian/Black African descent.

That's interesting about Schenectady as Utica is about 10% Bosnian and they are similar cities.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 AM

125 posts, read 404,270 times
Niskayuna is a great area having lived there myself. High population of Asians. Lawns manicured, neat and nice neighbors with shopping at your doorstep. PM if need any info.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:39 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,199 times
Thanks gang...will see if anything pans out for the relatives..they are visiting and seeing if its something up there alley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area