Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:03 AM

101 posts, read 297,532 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am new to the New York boards. I come from the south and have been working my way north throughout my young career (New Orleans -> Atlanta -> Knoxville -> outside Albany area?). I am in talks with Knolls Atomic Power Lab at the moment. I don't know anyone who has worked for them. I was wondering if any of you could give me some "vibes" about what employees of KAPL think about working there. Also, if anyone has lived in the New Orleans, Atlanta, or Knoxville areas, could you compare the Albany area to those areas? I am still in the infancy of my career (I'm 25 and just got my Masters), so I am trying to make a decision that could very well change my life.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,652 times
I knew a couple of people that worked there but I didn't know them very well. They couldn't talk about their job due to the nature of the work, security is really tight and everything is heavily regulated. Lot's of paperwork and any changes are not taken lightly. However, I didn't get any bad vibes like they hated where they worked.

I'm not sure what your background is. If you are a free wheelin' R&D type that desires the freedom to design and experiment at a whim, it might be a difficult place to work. It would probably be a great opportunity though, even if you decided to work somewhere else.

Sorry, I don't know much about the south but I've met some southerners that have moved to the area. The biggest things for Southerners are the winters here and the culture is different...less laid back than it is in the south and people are more apt to complain about things here. Just a generalization of course.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 PM

207 posts, read 642,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmgatech View Post
Also, if anyone has lived in the New Orleans, Atlanta, or Knoxville areas, could you compare the Albany area to those areas?
I moved here from Knoxville, so I can compare it to that.

One difference is population growth. Albany is slowly shrinking with the suburbs slowly growing, but overall the population is fairly flat. Knoxville, on the other hand, is growing at a steady pace (or very quickly in the Turkey Creek area). This means that you will rarely see new construction in this area (housing, stores, restaurants, etc.). The restaurant options here are pretty limited, in my opinion.

Winters here are cold and snowy. Make that really cold and snowy.

The cost of living here is higher, especially if you plan on buying a house. Electricity is more expensive and you will use quite a bit of it in the winter. There is a state income tax and rent will be a few hundred dollars higher. If you buy a house, the property taxes will shock you.

Saratoga Springs (north of Albany) has an excellent venue for open air concerts (SPAC). Saratoga Springs itself is also quite nice; it has a very active, albeit small, downtown. There is also horse racing in August if you like that.

You are within 3-4 hours of New York City, Boston, and Montreal. There is nothing close to Knoxville that compares to any of those cities. I really enjoy all three and you can take a weekend trip pretty easily (or a daytrip if you don't mind the driving).

If you are still into the college party scene, then I hear that UAlbany is quite active, although I don't know personally.

Religion has a smaller presence here. There is still a large religious community and quite a few churches, but it is much less prominent than in Knoxville.

I don't know much about KAPL, although I have met several people that work there. I've never heard anything negative though.

Overall, I think that it is worth trying it out if nothing else is holding you there. You will find some things that you like and some that you don't. It is a great opportunity to explore the Northeast if you've never been in the area.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:48 AM

101 posts, read 297,532 times
Thanks for the responses. So essentially I am hearing the same thing from pretty much everyone I have talked to about moving up there. There will be a definitely increase in cost of living due to higher energy costs, taxes, housing costs, produce, etc. I suppose I will have to request a much higher salary to counter these costs.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:15 AM

125 posts, read 404,209 times
I grew up in Albany and lived about 3 miles from KAPL in Niskayuna..a small family town. Really great area. Niskayaun has some apartments in the town-mostly made up of KAPL/GE R&D young, single workers. They live close to work but are still placed squarely between Albany and Saratoga to go out.
I think as a young professional just starting out you would be fine there. NOt sure what your cost of living will be but all in all, I don't think Albany's is that much higher than a lot of other places around. We just moved from there to VA where it is astronomical-so at this point I think it's cheap.

I know MANY people who work there-great work ethics and fun too. A good mix. Go visit and see how you like it. You can PM me if you have any specific ??s about the area. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,482 times
I want to know the best places to live in Albany or close to the KAPL?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:34 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakkyn View Post
I want to know the best places to live in Albany or close to the KAPL?
Saratoga Springs, Burnt Hills, Ballston Lake, Niskayuna, Schuylerville, Clifton Park and Ballston Spa.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,417 times
My husband and I are moving to the Albany area and this post really helped us. He too will be working at KAPL.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,711 times
Hi All,

I will be moving to the area shortly and was just looking for advice as previous people have requested.

Are there any forums/websites (other than craigslist) where house-shares or sublets can be found for the area?
I will only be around for 6 months and have run into some bother with some apartments requiring a minimum of 12 months lease.

Thank you all in advance

Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Maybe you could find something here: Renters Guide | Apartments in Albany | Albany NY Apartments | Albany Apartments for Rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area