Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM

234 posts, read 812,026 times

Advertisements

I am going to visit RPI in a few weeks, and I remember a seafood place I used to go to in downtown Troy about 10-15 yrs ago. It was right on the river's waterfront and called something like "the barge" ? Does anyone know if this place is still open? Any dining suggestions? Lo Porto's seems to get good reviews, but I am sick of Italian. We are staying at the Desmond.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM

613 posts, read 2,299,674 times
Are you thinking of the Castaway? It's been closed for probably 10 yrs, but it was on River St. on the water right when you came off the Green Island Bridge. It turned into a Fresno's Mexican Restaurant, but that's been closed for a few years now. Last I heard the location is standing empty but there were rumors that the Dinosaur BBQ out of Syracuse was considering it.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:44 PM

57 posts, read 162,307 times
That would be the place! When i'm in troy for some crappy food, i like Newest Lunch i think it's called, it's been years.
cross the bridge and go to Gus's Hotdogs in watervielet! yummmmmmmmmmmm

Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM

So it was called Castaway's?

Any rec's for a decent dinner? How are the restaurant's in the Desmond?

Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM

Well if you are up for a drive, going strait up route 2, and cross the circle to route 7, you will have dakota's on your right (that's not that far).. they have steak and seafood, a pretty nice chain resturant and has a nice salad bar.. if that's the kinda food your looking for..I don't really know fine dining in try anymore, just been a long time since i lived there. ..latham which is about 5 minutes away has a few nice restuarants Troy has some good places with pub grub..(this is off the top of my head) Up hoosic street in troy you have my favorite chinese restuarant and maybe best in the world "the plum blossom Chinese restaurant" it's seirously awesome. family style food, it's not takeout by any means...

Homes and Watson Ltd is a high class pub w/ good food

south end tavern is just a pub..

Troy is more a pub food place..

Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM

613 posts, read 2,299,674 times
It was definitely the Castaway in the mid 90s when I was in high school. May have been something else before that, not sure. If this is the place you're thinking of, it's on River St, literally next to the bridge with a patio overlooking the water. If you kept going straight from the bridge you'd end up on the RPI hill.

Gus's Hot Dogs is still around. Looks the same and doing the same robust business it always has.

Disclaimer - I grew up in the Albany 'burbs and get back to visit friends/family quite a bit, but don't live in the area anymore so I'm not completely up on my restaurant recs.

That said, I don't know about the restaurants in the Desmond, but if you're looking for something different there is a somewhat new fancy Japanese steakhouse right across from the hotel (called Koto or Kyoto). In that same area, there is now a Hotel Indigo. It's a trendy boutique hotel chain so it may have a fun restaurant.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:40 PM

291 posts, read 954,837 times
The only good Dinner I know of is on Carman Rd (146) in Guilderland. It is called Mike's dinner.

I've been to the Desmond only once and the the food was average. There are however several good restaurants near the Desmond. I'm not sure what you like but on Wolf Rd you can find pretty much everything from chain restaurants (Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Buca Di Beppo, Chilis, Olive Garden, Fuddruckers, etc) to some decent local stuff. If you like seafood, try Reel Seafood Co. If you like Indian, the new place on the corner of Central & Wolf Rd, it has a great buffet. I can't remember the name of it now. If you like good pizza, try Mama Mia on Fuller Rd.

Anyway, give us an idea of what you like and we'll give you some more options.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 PM

Looking for Steak/seafood

Old 08-20-2009, 05:16 PM

92,097 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USER876 View Post
Looking for Steak/seafood
What about this: Untitled Document

Teagan's Steak and Seafood Restaurant and Catering (in nearby Rensselaer)

Verdiles Restaurant (http://www.verdile.com/menu.html - broken link)

http://www.daisybakers.com/

Welcome to Tosca in Historic Downtown Troy, NY

South End Tavern: Troy, New York

and many more: restaurants in troy, ny - Google Maps

Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 AM

Steak / Seafood? I say go up the hill to dakota's steak house strait up root 2, go through the circle, and it's on your right on route 7 near latham farms / the highway..

It's about a 5-10 minute drive from troy max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area