U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM

7 posts, read 17,619 times

Advertisements

I'm writing you folks from Grand Junction, Colorado in hopes of contacting someone there in that area to see about my 68 year old husband, and an adult daughter who just relocated there.
Our story is a long, and tedious one, and without going into all the particulars, the story is, I sent my husband up there to live with our adult daughter, and, to say the least, things have not gone well. Our daughter, Jessica has been landscaping for an elderly woman there in Esperence (sp?), but now the work is done. Cold weather is coming on, and they've told me, where they're living, they have only 5 gallons of heating oil left, and they're moving into another place in Esperence in a few days.
They've had to put up $1,000.00 to move into the new place which will be a lot easier for my husband to manage because he'll be on flat-ground. He has arthritis, and it's difficult for him to walk. Also, my daughter tells me (her father never would, he always tells me, everything is fine) they have nothing but Ramen soup, and burgers to eat. I'm sick with worry about my husband. He's an angel of a man that's taken very good care of us all for 40 years (we've raised eight children) but, we've lost a lot because of sickness, and a bunch of rotten luck.
He has his SS, but because of all the moving cross country (Jim is a native New Yorker, and he wanted to go home) we've run out of money.
I'm staying here in Colorado with our last child (she's 19) to help another daughter (mine from a previous marriage) for, at least, until Spring, then, I hope to be reunited with my husband.
I'm selling what I've accumulated all these years every weekend here, but because so many others are out of work, and money, I'm not doing very well. I've just enough to keep us sheltered, and fed here with two dogs.
Is there someone there nearby that can help my husband, and daughter get moved, the electricity turned on, and get them some groceries in the pantry? I thought about calling a church, but I don't know where to begin to do that.
What other family was left up there are now either dead- or dead drunk.
I can't believe we thought this move was a good idea.
Now, my family is cold, and hungry, and I won't have any money to help them until the middle of next month myself.
If anyone here can help them for just a few days, please call me at 970 986-8232. Or, my email address is myfinalnerve@yahoo.com
Thank you all for your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 01:06 PM

4,195 posts, read 14,528,201 times
Very sorry to hear about your situation. The Salvation Army may be able to help them (although I imagine these days they're innundated w/ requests) or at least give them some direction or a new plan. You & your husband s/b together IMO - it might not be a bad idea for them to go back, join forces w/ you so there's just one housing bill, utilities etc and sell the stuff or give it away since you're not making that much on it anyway and it's tying you down, then decide on a better plan, keeping in mind the 'big picture', the economy and your specific job skills etc - even if it's just flipping burgers or waiting tables, your kids may balk but it wont be forever - at least it's steady and will bring some $$ in, esp. if several of you are doing it. BUt you do need a firm plan and it's best to go where the jobs are, don't relocate to a specific place in the middle of nowhere just b/c of sentimental reasons esp. if you have no connections there - would also stay away from rural areas simply b/c it's not what you need now, you need to go where the jobs are. Best of luck, I hope others will chime in.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:22 PM

10,404 posts, read 16,706,950 times
I agree with the previous post. Also, personally I wouldn't be posting my phone number on an Internet forum (maybe save it for a PM), most of us here are good people but you never know who's looking at it, etc. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Thank you for the advice, and you're right about the phone #. I wasn't thinking, I was in panic-mode, but I've not received one call.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM

7,435 posts, read 14,790,922 times
If you are referring to Eminence, NY the following may be of help

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM

292 posts, read 900,672 times
I think she means Esperance, NY also in Schoharie county

Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 PM

633 posts, read 1,839,952 times
Cobleskill is in Schoharie county about 10 miles to the west may have a soup kitchen and other contacts that might lead them in the right direction.

This article has a contact and phone number.

Group plans homeless shelter, soup kitchen : Times Journal Online - News of Schoharie County

Old 10-05-2009, 05:21 PM

633 posts, read 1,839,952 times
One other thought, have him call Social security and ask for a case worker. Call the county office it is possible that they may be able to assist with housing and food.

I did this for an uncle about 6 years ago in otsego county, so I know they can get help.

Does he have a car and is he able to work? I may have a need for some part time help at my property in Richmondville.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Thank you all for your replies.
I will begin immediately utilizing your suggestions.

I hope my husband won't be shy about accepting the help. We've always managed to make our own way, and support, and maintain our own needs, and expenses.
This is the lowest we've been, and the worst timing for any of this to be happening at our age.

I'm a newshound, and I see, and hear about what's going on all across the nation everyday. I remind myself that many people have it much worse, and I remember our blessings. I think many people are dazed, and confused as to what's happened to our country, and to our people the last thirty plus years.

We've gone from farming in the east, to the oil, gas, and mining operations in the west. We've witnessed, and experienced how it's all been manipulated, deregulated, litigated, and down-sized to the point of hopelessness for many American working-class folks.

Again, thank you all for your time. I'll get back to you, new jersey mike, when I hear from them the new location, and phone number. I don't know that my husband would be able to assist you with your work. His physical health is failing fast. He turned 68 yesterday. He's had a life of long-hours, and hard labor all of his 60+ years.
However, he does hold a degree in horticulture from Farmington, NY (1960) so, he might be of some use as a "consultant".

No fees expected, just honest, and decent company requested.

Upstate is his home, and there's no greener thumb there.

The man grew tomatoes in the desert! And, to help make me feel at home, six-foot sunflowers!

My pint-sized daughter who just turned 27, is working in the woods with her brother building stone fence, and walls. She has an artistic flair, and she's helping elderly residents there in Summit, and Richmondville with landscaping, and cleaning up their properties. She's also been helping cut firewood. I'm still trying to envision an image of my little girl wielding a chainsaw! As is said, dynamite comes in small packages, and she has the heart of a lioness when it comes to challenging work.
But, as you know, with winter coming on, work will become more scarce.

It's become too cold here too fast, too. I think we're all in for a colder season.

But I did see something on the news ticker this am that said the cost of heating oil will be down 8% this year.

Does anyone else know this to be true?
Or, is it just another temporary "warm& fuzzy" (pardon the pun) statistic from the government?

Old 10-10-2009, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,481 times
conact catholic charities in Oneonta. They can find some refferals for your family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area