Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 24,242 times

Advertisements

Hello. Can anyone give me an estimate of the time it takes to drive from the Malta area to the lower Adirondack area? My husband will be working in Malta, and the housing options in Lake George and Warrensburg seem really appealing. Any info on the area, what it is like to live there, and what the drive from Malta is like would be really appreciated. My husband may be able to adjust his schedule a bit so that he is not driving during peak traffic. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 09:03 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,128 times
Probably about 35 minutes, give or take a few. Traffic shouldn't be too bad, in usually gets congested on 87 south of Malta, around Clifton Park. The plant in Malta might change the traffic dynamic though.

It's pretty up in the Lake George/Warrensburg area. It's in the Adirondack Park and primarily hilly woodland. In a previous post, you mentioned potentially buying a farm. There's little of that up there and there are restrictions on what you can do with your land in the Park. The regulatory agency is the Adirondack Park Agency and can be a real pain to deal with.

The tourist traffic in the summer might drive you a little nuts, depending on where you'd live. We live in Old Forge, a touristy area on the other side of the Park, and we can't wait for the traffic to slow down...of course, the money flow into town slows down too. Glens Falls area would be an option too.

Since you are thinking about buying land in a more farmy setting, I think some of the prettiest agricultural areas are around Argyle, Schuylerville/Stillwater, and Greewich. Lot's of hills with lot's of dairy farms and fields in the valleys.

Last edited by Rumblebelly; 08-30-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-30-2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks a lot for the reply. There are so many attractive options up there, it will be hard to decide. I appreciate your response.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
From Malta to Warrensburg will unfortunately be longer than 35 minutes. With no traffic and clear weather it's a solid 45 minutes. The chances of no traffic and clear weather for over 50% of the year is slim to none.

I used to make that drive almost daily from exit 12 to right at the 87/28 split, and it never took me under 45 minutes.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 PM

585 posts, read 2,223,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
From Malta to Warrensburg will unfortunately be longer than 35 minutes. With no traffic and clear weather it's a solid 45 minutes. The chances of no traffic and clear weather for over 50% of the year is slim to none.

I used to make that drive almost daily from exit 12 to right at the 87/28 split, and it never took me under 45 minutes.
Driving through and north of Warrensburg to get to 28 will easily kill an additional 10 minutes. I said "give or take a few" minutes. It all depends on where you live in the Warrensburg/Lake George area. It could take 30 min or an hour.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times
Depending on where you live and where you want to go and what the traffic is like, it varies. I'd say on average to get from Malta to Warrensburgh on an obstacle-free day (nice weather, no traffic or road work) about 45 minutes on I-87.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks again for all of the info. You're helping us to narrow down our options. Can't wait to get up there!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,724 times
Hello ... I live in Albany and have a vacation home at Loon Lake, Chestertown (about 20 minutes north of Warrensburgh). The area is awesome. I'm doing a website on things to see/do in the area ( LoonyAboutAdirondacks.com ) . Check it out and if you have questions on anything just contact me and I'd be glad to help.

Best of luck,
Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area