Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 AM

379 posts, read 509,612 times

Advertisements

Not what it sounds like...I am from Northern NJ and after 1 year of looking I finally landed a job in my field here in NJ. The kicker is that I only have to come into the office once a week, and the rest of the week, I'm a field manager. There are no requirement on where I can live- I could live in Kansas if I could tolerate the drive. Therefore, I've been looking for a place to live that is within a 150 mile radius of Northern NJ / NYC. Several people have suggested the Capital region. Here are my requirements:

1. I want to live in a small, vibrant town and live downtown on a side street. A small, older house is good. Area need not be overly liberal or overly conservative, no extremes.

2. Town must be cheap, if the taxes are high, the cost of living must be low. In NJ, utilities, home cost, taxes, auto insurance, etc are all sky high. Need to be able to live well on a salary of $45k.

3. I like mountains, snow, and lots of trees. Not at all afraid of the cold, I prefer it actually. Own a Jeep 4x4.

4. Prefer a non-diverse town. I'm not racist, I just prefer to live in a mostly white area.

5. Should live relatively close to an interstate, for easy access into NJ.

6. Have a gun and fishing rod- I prefer an area with realisitic gun laws. I don't have a handgun or semi-automatic weapon, so I'm not looking for super liberal Montana-style gun laws, just enough leeway that I won't be harrassed for owning a shotgun. I fish and camp also so good wilderness areas are important.

7. I'd like an educated area, not all doctors and professors or anything, just good people who value education.

Does the Capital Region fit the bill? Realistically, although I'd like to own a house, I'll probably start out renting. How much would a small, one bedroom apartment rent for in a clean, rural, safe area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM

92,115 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Not what it sounds like...I am from Northern NJ and after 1 year of looking I finally landed a job in my field here in NJ. The kicker is that I only have to come into the office once a week, and the rest of the week, I'm a field manager. There are no requirement on where I can live- I could live in Kansas if I could tolerate the drive. Therefore, I've been looking for a place to live that is within a 150 mile radius of Northern NJ / NYC. Several people have suggested the Capital region. Here are my requirements:

1. I want to live in a small, vibrant town and live downtown on a side street. A small, older house is good. Area need not be overly liberal or overly conservative, no extremes.

2. Town must be cheap, if the taxes are high, the cost of living must be low. In NJ, utilities, home cost, taxes, auto insurance, etc are all sky high. Need to be able to live well on a salary of $45k.

3. I like mountains, snow, and lots of trees. Not at all afraid of the cold, I prefer it actually. Own a Jeep 4x4.

4. Prefer a non-diverse town. I'm not racist, I just prefer to live in a mostly white area.

5. Should live relatively close to an interstate, for easy access into NJ.

6. Have a gun and fishing rod- I prefer an area with realisitic gun laws. I don't have a handgun or semi-automatic weapon, so I'm not looking for super liberal Montana-style gun laws, just enough leeway that I won't be harrassed for owning a shotgun. I fish and camp also so good wilderness areas are important.

7. I'd like an educated area, not all doctors and professors or anything, just good people who value education.

Does the Capital Region fit the bill? Realistically, although I'd like to own a house, I'll probably start out renting. How much would a small, one bedroom apartment rent for in a clean, rural, safe area?
A small city like Oneonta seems to fit what you are talking about. It has 2 colleges, is in the foothills of the Catskills, is along I-88 between Binghamton and Schenectady, is about 93% White, has about 14,000 people, has some affordable homes and much more.

Here's some information: Otsego Delaware MLS Real Estate Search (http://chesser21.pureagent.net/real-estate/Otsego-Delaware-MLS/Residential/search/?counties - broken link)[0]=Otsego&towns[0]=Oneonta&mls_numbers=&price_min=0&price_max=150000 &beds_min=&beds_max=&baths_min=&baths_max=&half_ba ths_min=&half_baths_max=&added_low=&acres_min=&acr es_max=&square_feet_min=&square_feet_max=&zip=&str eet_number=&street_name=&page_num=2
Welcome to the Official Website for Oneonta, New York
Visit Oneonta, NY - Home
Oneonta Business Resources, Grants, Assistance, Main Street, Downtown

If you want the Capital District, specifically, I'm thinking that maybe places like Glens Falls, Hudson, Catskill, Gloversville/Johnstown, Ballston Spa and Cobleskill.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM

9,299 posts, read 16,587,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you want the Capital District, specifically, I'm thinking that maybe places like Glens Falls, Hudson, Catskill, Gloversville/Johnstown, Ballston Spa and Cobleskill.
We had home in NJ and one in Saratoga. The commute from Saratoga is 3 hours to Morris County area of NJ. It took 2 hours to drive to Albany.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A small city like Oneonta seems to fit what you are talking about. It has 2 colleges, is in the foothills of the Catskills, is along I-88 between Binghamton and Schenectady, is about 93% White, has about 14,000 people, has some affordable homes and much more.

Here's some information: Otsego Delaware MLS Real Estate Search (http://chesser21.pureagent.net/real-estate/Otsego-Delaware-MLS/Residential/search/?counties - broken link)[0]=Otsego&towns[0]=Oneonta&mls_numbers=&price_min=0&price_max=150000 &beds_min=&beds_max=&baths_min=&baths_max=&half_ba ths_min=&half_baths_max=&added_low=&acres_min=&acr es_max=&square_feet_min=&square_feet_max=&zip=&str eet_number=&street_name=&page_num=2
Welcome to the Official Website for Oneonta, New York
Visit Oneonta, NY - Home
Oneonta Business Resources, Grants, Assistance, Main Street, Downtown

I looked into Oneonta but when I map it out, there is no real easy way to get from Oneonta to the part of NJ that my office is at. Either I'll be taking Route 17, which might be deadly in the snow, or I-88, to I-81, to I-80, which is a LONG way. It does look like a perfect fit otherwise.

I might go check out Glens Falls and Saratoga County in general this weekend. Bonus its peak fall foliage too, so I think I'm going to love the area.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We had home in NJ and one in Saratoga. The commute from Saratoga is 3 hours to Morris County area of NJ. It took 2 hours to drive to Albany.

Three hours seems reasonable once a week. How did you find Saratoga County to compare with Morris County? I currently live in Sussex County and it is beautiful here but so so so expensive. I make $45k a year and I can no longer afford it. I am very familiar with Morris County so it would be nice to hear your opinion on how it stacks up against Saratoga County- rent cost, taxes, open space, things to do, quality of life, etc. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:27 PM

382 posts, read 1,526,387 times
Perhaps Catskill or Hudson NY would work. You are correct about Oneonta - there's really no direct route to downstate NY/NJ from there.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM

9,299 posts, read 16,587,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Three hours seems reasonable once a week. How did you find Saratoga County to compare with Morris County? I currently live in Sussex County and it is beautiful here but so so so expensive. I make $45k a year and I can no longer afford it. I am very familiar with Morris County so it would be nice to hear your opinion on how it stacks up against Saratoga County- rent cost, taxes, open space, things to do, quality of life, etc. Thanks!
We lived in Whippany (Hanover Township). Housing costs are quite different. Our house sold for $470K (no land). Bought a new house in Saratoga $275K (3.5 acres). COL is quite a bit less in Saratoga (check out a COL calculator), we are 10 miles outside of Saratoga Springs, beautiful open space, country roads (which are cleared a heck of a lot quicker than NJ when it snows). People are very friendly and helpful and I think it is a great place to raise a family.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:02 PM

50 posts, read 149,287 times
I suggest Saratoga Springs or the surrounding areas. It seemed to fit a lot of your criteria, and there is a gun club in Wilton, so you may like that. Good, vibrant night life on Caroline Street. There are a lot of professionals, but the atmosphere is not snotty. I worked at a restaurant in town, and compared to other towns around this area that I have worked in, the people were a lot nicer and smiled more. My aunt lives in Ramsey, NJ, and I have made that trip quite a few times- it ranges from 1 hr 45 minutes to 2 hours and 15 minutes, and is a pretty drive. Cost of living will definitely be less than Bergen County.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-18-2009, 06:08 PM

451 posts, read 692,232 times
The fact that there is no direct route from Oneonta, or even Utica to downstate is a travesty. Otherwise it would only be a 2 hour drive downstate.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:38 PM

92,115 posts, read 122,326,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS085 View Post
The fact that there is no direct route from Oneonta, or even Utica to downstate is a travesty. Otherwise it would only be a 2 hour drive downstate.
Besides Route 8 from Utica, which actually goes by Sidney, there isn't anything directly to Downstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area