Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2009, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,712 times

Advertisements

My brother is moving to Albany, NY and I am trying to help him out. He just got a job there, but he can't seem to find an apartment to rent that allows you to break the contract if you need to (not even paying a fee or an additional month). Is that common in Albany, NY? Or does he need to research the suburban areas a little better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 03:50 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Try this these sites: MapsKrieg - Apartments & Housing For Rent in Albany, NY

Albany NY Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder

Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM

207 posts, read 642,897 times
That does seem to be common. In most other areas that I have lived, you could break an apartment lease by forfeiting your deposit and paying an extra month's rent. I didn't find any apartments like that here. You are responsible for the full lease (and the deposits are much higher -- I paid nearly $900). I assumed that it was related to state renters laws, but I don't know for sure.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:06 AM

207 posts, read 642,897 times
By the way, I was looking mostly in the suburban areas and not in Albany itself, so I doubt that your brother will have better luck there. You may have better luck renting from a private party rather than a corporate complex though.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 AM

36 posts, read 191,375 times
Default Crescent Village Apartments

I lived at the Crescent Village Apartments in Clifton Park between 1999 and 2000. I had to move a month before my lease expired and I lost my deposit.

They were very nice apartments then. I don't know what they are like now, but you might want to investigate them. They are just off of exit 8 on the Northway. I commuted to a job in downtown Albany every day.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,373 times
You will need to find a private landlord to give you terms that will meet your needs. Don't let anybody fool you, the Capital Region is full of vacant homes and foreclosed properties. There are so many desperate landlords. You just have to have the confidence to ask them for what you need.

If you are feeling blue after you move to albany, check out www.capitalhideaway.com

Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,522 times
Solomon Corporation might have some month to month rentals. We used them in Clifton Park for a summer 3 years ago and it worked out well.

Apartments for rent, townhouses for rent, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, apartment listings, townhouse listings, corporate housing, - Solomon Organization

Put the cursor over New York and then Capitol Region. It'll pull up a few locations in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area