Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,278 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiance and I are moving to Albany, NY next week. I got a job with Knolls atomic power laboratory in Niskayuna and my fiance will be working in Albany Medical Center in downtown Albany. My company is paying for a hotel for both of us until we find a place. I was wondering if someone could help me in recommending some nice, safe apartments; Something with some restaurants and bars nearby would be a nice. We are looking for an area that will be close to both our jobs, but I much rather have her drive less than me, since she has never driven in snow before. Like I said, we are looking for a nice apartment complex, safe and in a nice area, I don't know if there are any gated communties in the Albany region, but that would also be a plus. We can afford up to a $1400/month rent. If someone has any recommendations or suggestions regarding apartments or certain areas I will greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 PM

207 posts, read 643,007 times
I'm not very familiar with the apartment complexes in or near Albany. I work next door to KAPL, but most people that I know live nearby in Niskayuna or to the north in Glenville or Clifton Park / Halfmoon.

Latham may be a good option because it is located approximately between KAPL and Albany Med and has a lot of apartment complexes. Loudonville is closer to Albany Med and is nice, but I don't know of any apartments there (mostly houses). Other nearby Albany suburbs are Colonie and Guilderland. Both are quite safe as far as I know, although Guilderland seems to have more apartments.

If you have not seen it, there is an apartment guide at

Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes

that is pretty useful in combination with Google/Yahoo/Bing maps.

Hopefully someone else will post that is more familiar with specific apartments in Albany and its immediate suburbs.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM

3 posts, read 16,005 times
I lived on Lark St. (between Washington Ave. and Madison Ave.) in Albany for 1.5 yrs. Lark St. can be noisy, but the side streets are much quieter. It's very close to Albany Med - I have walked there in about 10-15 mins. There are tons of shops and restaurants on this strip of Lark St. and it borders Washington Park, which is very nice. There are some good restaurants downtown, but no one really lives there.

Parking is not an issue if you work a 9-5 job as you can park inside the park. In our case, we had to wake up early just to move the car to be sure we didn't get a ticket. There are also many restrictions with parking on Lark St. itself - you just have to drive around and be sure to read the signs. We only ran into situations like this if we drove home late at night.

I don't know of any gated communities but I have some friends who lived at this apartment complex and they really liked it: Hudson Preserve - Luxury Apartments

Let me know if you need any restaurant recommendations as my husband and I love eating out.

Last edited by stoptinnitus; 11-05-2009 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Link problem!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:09 AM

10,398 posts, read 572,271 times
Why don't you look in Rensselaer County. My son lived right across the river from U Albany & Albany Law when he was a student last year. It's an easy on & off from Interstate 90. There are nice apt complexes and close to restaurants, shopping, civilization etc... You also don't have to go far to be in the country either... nice balance there. Just a quick 10-15 minute ride to downtown Albany. (traffic & time of day varies a bit). Now he lives with his GF right off Washington Park near Lark St. which is nice too if you aren't looking for a complex. The only thing he hates about living DT, is the lack of parking and the alt side of the street parking nonsense, it can get crazy. Lots of good restaurants off of Wolf Road and in and around the capital district itself. Saratoga is close too, you'll love it. There are concerts, horse racing, parks, etc... incidently, I used to work as a nurse at AMCH myself for 15 yrs. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 PM

18 posts, read 74,857 times
There's several nice apartment complexes out off Western Avenue and New Karner Road that are located halfway between where you both will be working. You might want to look around there.

Also, Slingerlands has a few nice places down off Blessing Road, also an easy ride. Slingerlands is a particularly nice area also. Google Map them both and do a little virtual exploring.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,052 times
I would suggest clifton park or latham as they provide the easiest commutes for both of you. There are numerous complexes with a variety of amenities.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:42 PM

29 posts, read 144,818 times
I am looking to move to the albany area also. What are the plus and minus factors to keep in mind. I am selling two businesses in PA to make this move north. I love the outdoors and the ADK's so that is one reason I am moving towards albany, but I wanted to know if I can get info on job market, jobs in demand, business opportunities, single women ratio, night life, etc. Recently broke off an engagement of 3.5 years and need to get away from PA. I am a white male 30 years old with two labradors. I love to snowboard, the outdoors, business, gambling, real estate, working out, and more. Looking to relocate for good. If anyone can help I would appreciate it! Thanks.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,110 times
Downtown Albany can be more convenient than you might think, and it's getting revitalized partially thanks to a brand new luxury condominium complex. Check out [url=http://www.17chapel.com]Albany NY Condos | 17 Chapel Boutique Condominiums in Downtown Albany[/url]. Also a condo just sold on State St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area