Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times

Advertisements

I narrowed down my search to 5 colleges and universities, my first choice is Albany because it's one of the farther universities from where I currently live so that I can stay away from any distractions I have at home, with close friends, etc.

How is Albany's downtown? Would I be able to get a 1 bedroom apartment for $900/mo tops in the downtown section (I'm not going to dorm)? How is the cities economy? Is it better than Montclair University in NJ?

The reason why I ask is because I've heard and seen mixed feelings towards Albany, like that it's crime rates are high, it's poor, it's rundown, but I also heard things like it's downtown is fantastic and that it's very historic. Can anyone provide with more in-depth information on Albany so that my research is top-notch?
I will be visiting in December, but any prior input or cautions are well appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I narrowed down my search to 5 colleges and universities, my first choice is Albany because it's one of the farther universities from where I currently live so that I can stay away from any distractions I have at home, with close friends, etc.

How is Albany's downtown? Would I be able to get a 1 bedroom apartment for $900/mo tops in the downtown section (I'm not going to dorm)? How is the cities economy? Is it better than Montclair University in NJ?

The reason why I ask is because I've heard and seen mixed feelings towards Albany, like that it's crime rates are high, it's poor, it's rundown, but I also heard things like it's downtown is fantastic and that it's very historic. Can anyone provide with more in-depth information on Albany so that my research is top-notch?
I will be visiting in December, but any prior input or cautions are well appreciated.
Here's some information you might like: The Downtown Albany Business Improvement District (BID)
Home: Albany Downtown Association
Downtown Albany Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Albany, NY!

SUNY-Albany is a very good school and I think you would like it. What would you be majoring in?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:59 PM

93,192 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's some information you might like: The Downtown Albany Business Improvement District (BID)
Home: Albany Downtown Association
Downtown Albany Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Welcome to Albany, NY!

SUNY-Albany is a very good school and I think you would like it. What would you be majoring in?
Here's a list you might like and it does mention SUNY-Albany: Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology Colleges and Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology Schools | USCS

Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Not sure why you'd want to live in downtown if you are attending SUNYA. You probably want to be no closer to downtown than the St. Rose area.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not sure why you'd want to live in downtown if you are attending SUNYA. You probably want to be no closer to downtown than the St. Rose area.
This is the reason why I'm asking for any further information since I'm not so familiar with Albany at all. And the distance of the college doesn't bother me as long as I'm living in the same city.
What information do you have about the St. Rose area?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks for the link!
But my main decision right now is still Albany because it's not too far from home (NNJ) but not too close.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
This is the reason why I'm asking for any further information since I'm not so familiar with Albany at all. And the distance of the college doesn't bother me as long as I'm living in the same city.
What information do you have about the St. Rose area?

Seriously, I suggest you pull out a map of Albany and familiarize yourself with the area at least a little bit.

SUNYA is on the far outskirts of Albany. Albany is much more spread out than anyplace in northern NJ. Living downtown (let's say the Lark Street or AMC area) and attending SUNYA would be like commuting from Dumont to FDU every day. Doable but not all that convenient.

The St. Rose area has a lot of older homes broken up into apartments. Some acecept students, some don't. It's (in my opinion) a much safer area than some of the downtown areas. It will remind you of South Orange around Seton Hall. Some parts of downtown Albany are comparable to the worst parts of Hackensack or Elizabeth.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Seriously, I suggest you pull out a map of Albany and familiarize yourself with the area at least a little bit.

SUNYA is on the far outskirts of Albany. Albany is much more spread out than anyplace in northern NJ. Living downtown (let's say the Lark Street or AMC area) and attending SUNYA would be like commuting from Dumont to FDU every day. Doable but not all that convenient.

The St. Rose area has a lot of older homes broken up into apartments. Some acecept students, some don't. It's (in my opinion) a much safer area than some of the downtown areas. It will remind you of South Orange around Seton Hall. Some parts of downtown Albany are comparable to the worst parts of Hackensack or Elizabeth.
Well a map can only reveal so much. (I've looked)
If your referring to Farleigh Dickinson in Hackensack, your drive to Dumont is probably a 5-6 mile drive... nothing dreadful, I commute 20 miles to work as it is.
~
Refering to your Albany-Hackensac/Elizabeth comparison, I've heard these kinds of things, but I expect it. Is there parts of the downtown that are pretty safe and affordable (max 900/mo)? (I'm not asking for anything VERY safe)

I rather not live in a multi-family home, which is why St. Rose doesn't appeal to me (it actually looks a lot like parts of Hackensack from the looks on google maps) This is why i wanted more info on the downtown section more than just its cons.

But thanks for your input

Old 12-23-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,168 times
Default Madison Ave.

Take a look at Madison Ave (the area between Knox St and S Lake Ave.) I think this is a pretty good spot for you to look in terms of night life and closeness to campus. It's also right across from the park and is very close to downtown. You can search for it on google maps by pasting this in there: Madison Ave & New Scotland Ave, Albany, New York 12208

Old 12-27-2009, 07:45 AM

28 posts, read 140,503 times
I think your idea of living downtown -- Center Square? -- is a great idea. There is a lot going on.

I'm surprised that anyone would say it is far from SUNY. There are SUNY buses along Western Ave, so you'd just have to cross a few blocks to get a ride. And there are SUNY buses because there is SUNY space downtown too.

And the drive east to west is easy, if you have a car.

Your plan makes a lot of sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area