Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 AM

27 posts, read 79,843 times

Advertisements

I have a 10th grader who loves sports and needs a good weight training program to stay in shape for football, and a 8th grader that is a drummer and is in advanced chorus.

We are relocating to the capital district.

The school districts we have heard are good, and are within a reasonable commute to work are Waterford, Bethlehem (delmar), Schodack Central, Niskayuna...and on the far end of our range...kinderhook & ballston spa.

We are looking for small safe community.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM

93,162 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshepwnc View Post
I have a 10th grader who loves sports and needs a good weight training program to stay in shape for football, and a 8th grader that is a drummer and is in advanced chorus.

We are relocating to the capital district.

The school districts we have heard are good, and are within a reasonable commute to work are Waterford, Bethlehem (delmar), Schodack Central, Niskayuna...and on the far end of our range...kinderhook & ballston spa.

We are looking for small safe community.

Suggestions?
If you want a good school with a good Football program, look at Shenendehowa in Clifton Park. It is a huge HS with about 3000 students, but they have a nice new stadium and a good Football program year in and year out. Burnt Hills is another good HS with a very good Football program, as they have been to the Class A state title game two years in a row. Saratoga Springs is also a good HS with a good Football program. Ballston Spa has been good in Football the last few years as well. Other schools that are good are:Lansingburgh, Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk, Chatham, Schenectady, Watervliet, Troy, Schalmont, Gloversville and Amsterdam.

If you can afford catholic/private school, look into Troy's LaSalle Institute or Albany Academy.

As for music, I'm not sure, but here is information for the schools I mentioned. Shen Music
Fine Arts Department - BHBL CSD
Ballston Spa middle School
Mark Beaubriand, Dept. Head 587-6690 ext. 3365 (Saratoga Springs School District Music Department)

Also, here is a good site to ask about HS Football programs in the Capital District: http://www.syracuse.com/forums/hsfootball/ I would ask the guy named "section2", as he is from the area and is very knowledgable about the scene there and he is from Ballston Spa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area