Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 06:07 AM

68 posts, read 120,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Best of luck wherever you're headed. I hope you find the happiness you are seeking.
Believe me, after the nightmare of the Saratoga Springs school district and the attitude of the people in this area, I'm sure I'll be much happier elsewhere.

Saratoga is the most unfriendly place I have ever lived. Way too click-y plus an ineffective city government and a general "let's close our eyes to the real issues" attitude. Lots of head nodding and "oh yeah, that is an issue" but nothing ever gets resolved.

Someday soon the massive condos, the continued upward sprawl are going to sink the city. It happened in the 70's and if some group doesn't get it under control it will happen again.

It's the one place I truly regret ever moving to. 10 wasted years until a lucky job transfer.

The Saratoga Springs bubble will burst at some point and there will be many more unhappy people here. I'm just glad I'm getting out now. The rose-colored glass attitude does this area no real favors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
KATHBRJ, it certainly seems you have had an unfortunate experience living in Saratoga, and everyone is entitled to an opinion, as you can see from the varied OP. In order to change things, you need to get seriously involved, take it to higher levels, get media attention, etc. Change takes time and a lot of effort.

People move to various places for different reasons. Not everyone is happy where they end up and others are extremely content.

We have friends that moved to N. Carolina and absolutely hate it there...complain about the phony people, religion, "good old boy" government, etc. So they are moving back north. Other friends landed in FL...they hate it...heat, humidity, bugs, snakes, cliques at the country club...so they are moving back.

You have expressed your negative experience in SS and now you're moving on and it might help you to forget about SS rather than waste your energy. Spend your time looking forward, not back.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 AM

68 posts, read 120,047 times
Elwood, I understand that you stump for Saratoga and that is your opinion. I spent the morning yesterday reviewing the security tape of the woman that was brutally yanked from her truck and dragged down Congress Street by an 18 year old. It was sickening.

Yes, I know, it can happen anywhere. But the Saratoga Springs city government turns a blind eye to all kinds of issues here. Yes, let's layoff more police but continue to put pretty flowers everywhere because that will sure help- because it's all about image in Saratoga.

People moving to the area need to be given a balanced view. It isn't all sunshine and roses and that's how many Saratogians feel and voice about their area. They refuse to even think there are serious issues and instead of getting deeply involved they throw cocktail parties. Oh, there's a problem? Let's throw our money at it and then forget it because someone else will just take care of it and I'm late for my manicure.

As long as I am stuck in this town with it's 2 star attraction of the track and people that would shove you aside rather than bother to say hello BACK, I will continue to relay my very negative experiences in Saratoga here- and there's 10+ years worth.

I can understand those that will never leave here only seeing the positive. Why wouldn't they? Who wants to admit to themselves that they don't really live in utopia?

I'll agree to disagree with you. And my opinions on Saratoga will continue to pop up on this forum.

Last edited by kathybrj; 05-23-2012 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-23-2012, 06:30 AM

150 posts, read 300,519 times
I hope you find happiness when you move. My experience in Saratoga Springs has been very different than yours and I am grateful for having ended up here. I respectfully disagree that attention isn't paid to the problems here. For example, the incident you discuss was covered by all the local stations and the perp was caught. Again, I hope you find happiness elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:00 AM

640 posts, read 2,011,961 times
Well dressed hicks basically. The locals drink a lot and seem to tie this into believing they are sophisticated. It's a very contrived town that sort of attempts to showcase victorian homes and imported culture in the summer. The reality is that horseracing and large swath of the fans are sleazy. Most of this area hasnt figured out that most people under 30 in any other part of the country avoids the racetrack like they would avoid a Gary Indiana bus station. Outside of a few eateries..most of this town is full of high priced mediocrity. The piggy faced crowd from NJ and Long Island seem to like it though...

Old 01-02-2016, 05:17 AM

334 posts, read 188,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Well dressed hicks basically. The locals drink a lot and seem to tie this into believing they are sophisticated. It's a very contrived town that sort of attempts to showcase victorian homes and imported culture in the summer. The reality is that horseracing and large swath of the fans are sleazy. Most of this area hasnt figured out that most people under 30 in any other part of the country avoids the racetrack like they would avoid a Gary Indiana bus station. Outside of a few eateries..most of this town is full of high priced mediocrity. The piggy faced crowd from NJ and Long Island seem to like it though...
I agree 1000%

Old 01-06-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Why do you feel the need to spend so much time on bashing Saratoga Springs? Move on.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
I agree 1000%
You also need to move on and find something positive in your life instead of spending so much time on the Saratoga Springs site bashing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area