Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 04:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,235 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've got offered a job in Troy/Rensellear for a year. I'm not an American, nor have I ever been in America. But the opportunity is too good to pass.

Only problem is the salary they want to give me. It's 1500 dollars a month. Where I come from it sounds like a lot, but is it really?
I also have a wife and two kids which I prefer to take with me, because a year is a lot of time.

Looking at the appartements in the area I'm looking to spend about 600 dollars rent on a small appartement. Is that about right?

But how about the life in NY? Is it expensive? Will I make it with the 1500 dollars or not? And should I consider leaving the wife and kids at home for a year?

Gladly appreciate all the help and many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:45 AM

10 posts, read 49,607 times
wow - can't believe no one responded....I'll give it my best shot. idk what it would cost to rent an apartment now but 25 years ago, an apartment near the RPI (college) was $350 (runned down 3 bdrm but really close to campus) it's gotta be $600 or more now. If you were by yourself, you could probably share an apt in Troy. Not much to do in Troy so you would be happier if your family is with you.

You'll probably need a car (?? + insurance) + gas . Food is not all that cheap - figure at least $100-150 per week for family of 4 (if you are frugal). And no - $1500 is not alot of money...are you going to be able to save anything to send home after living expenses? If it's the work experience that you are looking for....then again, maybe you can negotiate for more/living expenses?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 AM

264 posts, read 444,204 times
1500 per month is NOT a lot (IMO) for a family of 4, I would think that would be super hard to do. I THINK if you were on your own, it would be a LOT more do-able... as you wouldn't be spending as much (unless, of course, your wife back home does not work and would need to be 100% supported by you). I'm a family of 3 (myself, husband and 3 year old) and I know we wouldn't get by on 1500 a month. Not without some form of help, anyway. I also think $600 for an apartment seems low???? I don't even think that'd be remotely doable with your family because you would need more bedrooms... and you won't get that here for $600. You may find a 1 bedroom or studio for that, not sure.

Good luck making a decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area