Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 07:47 AM

275 posts, read 793,299 times

Advertisements

We've been going up to Lake George for several years for short vacations. The first couple of years, we ate at a restaurant called "Grandma's Back Porch". We've always enjoyed it. The last few years we've been going in Sept/Oct and since this place seems to be seasonal, it is closed when we get there. Does anyone know when they start their season? My wife seems to think it is Memorial Day but I think that would be a really short season for them. They don't have a website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 06:27 AM

264 posts, read 444,234 times
Your wife is just about right!!

Most of the 'seasonal' restaurants in Lake George begin to open around then- and the close after the summer (around the beginning of September).. they all have somewhat short seasons, that's when they get all the business.

Here's a website for you:
Dining - Lake George, NY

It tells you when all the Lake George (and area) restaurants are open (whether all year or certain times).. it appears Grandma's is open from June-September

So, you come all the way up from Florida to this area? What made you come over this way? I'm an hour from Lake George and absolutely LOVE it there. (I also love Grandma's Back Porch!)

Old 01-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika♥Chris♥Lexi View Post
Your wife is just about right!!

Most of the 'seasonal' restaurants in Lake George begin to open around then- and the close after the summer (around the beginning of September).. they all have somewhat short seasons, that's when they get all the business.

Here's a website for you:
Dining - Lake George, NY

It tells you when all the Lake George (and area) restaurants are open (whether all year or certain times).. it appears Grandma's is open from June-September

So, you come all the way up from Florida to this area? What made you come over this way? I'm an hour from Lake George and absolutely LOVE it there. (I also love Grandma's Back Porch!)
I grew up in NYC. My wife is from the south. We have been coming up to NYC for a visit at least once a year for many years. Mostly to see the Yankees. Several years ago, I wanted my wife to see another part of NY besides the city and the Catskills. So, we started adding Lake George as a destination. Well, she has totally fallen in love with the area. In fact, the Lake George area is getting to be on our short list for retirement in a couple of years. I told her I would pay for her plane fare to fly down to FL for a couple of months in the winter to visit family and I would stay in NY with my dogs. We both love Grandma's. Been missing it the last couple of years.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:21 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
I grew up in NYC. My wife is from the south. We have been coming up to NYC for a visit at least once a year for many years. Mostly to see the Yankees. Several years ago, I wanted my wife to see another part of NY besides the city and the Catskills. So, we started adding Lake George as a destination. Well, she has totally fallen in love with the area. In fact, the Lake George area is getting to be on our short list for retirement in a couple of years. I told her I would pay for her plane fare to fly down to FL for a couple of months in the winter to visit family and I would stay in NY with my dogs. We both love Grandma's. Been missing it the last couple of years.
I thought I was the only one! We grew up outside NYC, been in VA 30 years. Remembered LG from when I was a kid and we vacationed up there in the spring. I am ready to park my chair on the lake and let life pass me by. Still have a few years but would like to spend the winter in Va and the rest up there. Don't know if we will be able to afford it though...

Old 01-27-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I thought I was the only one! We grew up outside NYC, been in VA 30 years. Remembered LG from when I was a kid and we vacationed up there in the spring. I am ready to park my chair on the lake and let life pass me by. Still have a few years but would like to spend the winter in Va and the rest up there. Don't know if we will be able to afford it though...
I know I can't stand FL much more (for a lot of reasons). I'm thinking something up in the LG area and maybe some kind of RV for winter travel down south for a couple of months. Cheaper than 2 houses. I wouldn't think that VA is that much different than NY in the winter. That lake mesmorizes me though. I can look at it all day too. A very beautiful area.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
I know I can't stand FL much more (for a lot of reasons). I'm thinking something up in the LG area and maybe some kind of RV for winter travel down south for a couple of months. Cheaper than 2 houses. I wouldn't think that VA is that much different than NY in the winter. That lake mesmorizes me though. I can look at it all day too. A very beautiful area.
I would rather have a Condo/Townhouse in LG, something where they take care of the building, plowing etc. When I retire I don't want to deal with a yard. Virginia winters run milder than NY in winter with spring starting earlier. Some years can be rougher but overall we BBQ year round. It's the summer humidity that kills me.

I travel through the moutains twice a year to go to Vermont, I could drive upstate NY all day, it's NJ that sucks the life out of me...lol

Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM

600 posts, read 2,091,766 times
The Lone Bull for breakfast on Route 9N. Awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area