Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 AM

406 posts, read 1,359,541 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are moving to one of these two locations next fall from south west Montana, yet we cannot choose. They both seem pretty equal, with similar climates to what we are used to (ours is MUCH drier, and a little colder). We are having problems deciding on where to choose... They both seems beautiful, and affordable, with plenty of outdoor activities. So what are your opinions of these places?

-We are not really concerned about jobs, although we would like access to services for small business development.

-We need the outdoors, and must live within a 15 minute drive of the mountains. Perhaps millions of acres of it, if that is to much to ask?

-We are excited to have an opportunity to be near the water, as we could definitely get into boating.

-We would like to be near a large international airport since we do a lot of traveling.

-How is the rental market in both places? We will most likely be purchasing a multi-family.

-About access to Lake Champlain: How does one access the lake? If you have a lot on the water, can you build a dock? Or must you pay a dock fee for a boat?

-We would rather live in an extremely liberal community. I don't really mind if it is a conservative area as long as people don't force religion and politics down our throats.

-What about schools?

-What about family oriented activities? We will start our family in one of these two places, and would like a fun place with a lot to do for kids.

-Crime doesn't seem to be a factor here, but does anyone have any experiences with it in any neighborhoods in these cities?

-What about cost of living? Utilities? Taxes? Food prices?

And if you guys can think of any misc. pros and cons I would love to hear them!!! Thanks, Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:45 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
Wife and I are moving to one of these two locations next fall from south west Montana, yet we cannot choose. They both seem pretty equal, with similar climates to what we are used to (ours is MUCH drier, and a little colder). We are having problems deciding on where to choose... They both seems beautiful, and affordable, with plenty of outdoor activities. So what are your opinions of these places?

-We are not really concerned about jobs, although we would like access to services for small business development.

-We need the outdoors, and must live within a 15 minute drive of the mountains. Perhaps millions of acres of it, if that is to much to ask?

-We are excited to have an opportunity to be near the water, as we could definitely get into boating.

-We would like to be near a large international airport since we do a lot of traveling.

-How is the rental market in both places? We will most likely be purchasing a multi-family.
. it's close to Montreal and the adirondack Mountains too.
-About access to Lake Champlain: How does one access the lake? If you have a lot on the water, can you build a dock? Or must you pay a dock fee for a boat?

-We would rather live in an extremely liberal community. I don't really mind if it is a conservative area as long as people don't force religion and politics down our throats.

-What about schools?

-What about family oriented activities? We will start our family in one of these two places, and would like a fun place with a lot to do for kids.

-Crime doesn't seem to be a factor here, but does anyone have any experiences with it in any neighborhoods in these cities?

-What about cost of living? Utilities? Taxes? Food prices?

And if you guys can think of any misc. pros and cons I would love to hear them!!! Thanks, Mike.
Another option could be Plattsburgh NY, which is across Lake champlain from Burlington and has it's own beach. It is close to Montreal and the Adirondack Mountains too.

I believe that Burlington is more expensive overall than Glens Falls, by the way. You can compare on a variety of cost of living calculators too: http://www.bing.com/search?q=costof+...ox&Form=IE8SRC

Old 01-24-2010, 11:56 AM

I have looked at Plattsburgh, but it doesn't seem like much is going on there. We don't really go out "on the town" per say, but we like to have a downtown with some things going on. Some unique shops, an event here and there, etc.

With that said, we do like the proximity of Plattsburgh to the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain. It seems to be a perfect balance, except for it's size.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I have looked at Plattsburgh, but it doesn't seem like much is going on there. We don't really go out "on the town" per say, but we like to have a downtown with some things going on. Some unique shops, an event here and there, etc.

With that said, we do like the proximity of Plattsburgh to the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain. It seems to be a perfect balance, except for it's size.
Actually, Plattsburgh has more people than Glens Falls in terms of city population, but GF is in a metro area.

Here's some info on P'burgh: City of Plattsburgh
http://www.lakestolocks.com/downloads/the_lake_city.pdf (broken link)
City of Plattsburgh

Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM

I do still consider Plattsburgh as a one of our options. I have been trying to narrow it down to two locations, but I can't seem to do it. We like a few cities in NY and VT. Peekskill seems promising and affordable in the southern part of the state, Burlington, Glens Falls, Brattleboro, Rutland, Hudson Falls, Fort Edward, and even the outskirts of Saratoga Springs seem ok.

If you could buy a home outright and not worry too much about a job, and get rental income, where would you personally move?

Old 01-24-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I do still consider Plattsburgh as a one of our options. I have been trying to narrow it down to two locations, but I can't seem to do it. We like a few cities in NY and VT. Peekskill seems promising and affordable in the southern part of the state, Burlington, Glens Falls, Brattleboro, Rutland, Hudson Falls, Fort Edward, and even the outskirts of Saratoga Springs seem ok.

If you could buy a home outright and not worry too much about a job, and get rental income, where would you personally move?
Yeah, it is a tough call. I think something outside of Saratoga Springs like Schuylerville or Ballston Spa would work too. Schuylerville has a good school district. So, that could help in terms of resale too. It's smaller though. Ballston Spa is close to Saratoga Springs, but more affordable.

Here's a good site to help you out with the walkability of the towns you are considering: Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

Personally, I would go with Glens Falls, as it is smaller city, but has quite a bit going on for a city of it's size.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-24-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 03:07 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,522 times
Burlington is a college town and is a lot more liberal than Glens Falls, which is more blue collar. Cost of living will be a little higher in Burlington though.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
Burlington is a college town and is a lot more liberal than Glens Falls, which is more blue collar. Cost of living will be a little higher in Burlington though.
Would you say that nearby Saratoga Springs is a bit more "liberal" than Glens Falls?

Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM

585 posts, read 2,222,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would you say that nearby Saratoga Springs is a bit more "liberal" than Glens Falls?
Slightly. There are 10% more Republicans than Democrats in Saratoga. In Burlington, the ratio of dems to repubs is almost 2:1.

Last edited by Yac; 11-16-2020 at 06:11 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,444,662 times
tbh, I think Burlington is closest to what you're looking for.

Though also, we must look further than just numbers at Saratoga. While it's true that Saratoga has more Republicans than Democrats, I would not by any means call it socially conservative.

Saratoga Springs: We vote Republican because we're rich but we're fine with gay marriage, abortion, etc.
Burlington: Even though we're rich, we vote Democrat because we're limousine liberals.
Glens Falls: We vote Republican federally because we're uneducated/we vote Republican state-wise because we don't want NYC to have too much power, but in our defense we're also the most "unspoiled" and quiet of the three.

^ Judge from that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area