Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 45,064 times

Advertisements

Born & raised here in upstate NY, I’ve always been annoyed by people that complain about the weather. "If you don’t like it move." Well this winter has worn me down and I’m considering moving to NC or VA. Seems like there are others that have done the same thing but then came back to NY. WHY??? I don’t want to have any regrets. In 2005, we built our "forever" home/farm and hate to give it up but the winter is getting the better of me. I can’t see doing the outside farm work for another 5 or 10 years. So if anybody knows somebody that moved to NC or VA and then came back here, please find out why and share their experience with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 01:19 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Reasons I have heard from people include the following for NC at least

-wanted to be back by family and friends
-missed having four seasons
-lack of culture in NC cities
-lack of good food in NC cities (too many chains)
-cities were too "new", set up like giant suburbs with bland architecture
- no community

Old 01-29-2010, 01:26 PM

Thanks garmin, you state good points.
We have yet to find decent pizza down south any time we visit. That would sorely be missed. Family, not so much...just kidding. Hope the kids will settle in the south when they finish school. Culture wouldn't be an issue, I'm into horses & kayaking and DH would love all the racing.
We're looking at RURAL and would only be worried if a development moved in next door.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:30 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
It sounds like you'd fit in a little better than the people I know. They were more city people.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:56 PM

You phrase that very kindly, TY!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

9,322 posts, read 16,661,006 times
I have heard the same reasons that the OP stated for moving back.
A few other reasons:
-cost of living wasn't as reasonable as thought
-nothing to do; boring
-lack of activities of interest

Another thought: don't bet on your kids moving near you. They have their own lives and interests and may not want to be in a rural area.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:47 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,128 times
The summers will be hotter and more humid down south, unless you are in the "mountains".

Old 01-30-2010, 11:20 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
Obviously, you don't know what you've got till it's gone. Take LA people for example. It's hip to HATE LA. Like everyone who lives there hates it because it is cool to say that.

But then you leave LA. Maybe your new city doesn't have the whole foods you love. Maybe your new city doesn't have "trini food" or whatever. Maybe it doesn't have such awesome weather. Maybe it doesn't have a great beach. etc. Things you assume every city will have it doesn't, each city truly does have its own unique character.

For me, I grew up in Albany and came to Rochester for college. Immediately, I liked Rochester better for several reasons. It did NOT occur to me I missed Albany for THREE YEARS. What did it? I was at Wegmans shopping for meat and the selection was absolutely terrible. Made me realize how good Price Chopper's selection was, which I just ASSUMED any city would have. Obviously, I'm not going to start to hate Rochester because of a poor meat selection at a supermarket. But it's something you take note of. And I imagine if you took note of enough things you'd eventually want to move back to your original city, or just adjust.

You truly don't know what you will miss until you move. (and then I go back to Albany and I'm pissed I can't get Country Sweet Chicken! FML!)

Last edited by juppiter; 01-30-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area