U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 AM

7 posts, read 16,879 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to the Albany area in a few months (just got a job with the state of NY), and I'm having problems finding a good source to locate rental homes.

I've tried the Times-Union website (slow, awful, no detail), craigslist, google maps real estate feature and many others. Craigslist is nice because there is the option to select pet-friendly properties, but I'm just not finding places that fit our needs.

My basic question is this: is there something going on with the rental market that I don't know about? Like, am I looking at the wrong sources, or is my timing just way off? I live in a college town now, and I know that a lot of rentals are leased from Aug 1-Aug 1 to fit the academic year. Is there a similar trend in the Albany area?

Or, are there just not a lot of pet-friendly properties out there? We have 3 dogs and 2 indoor cats. All dogs <30lb and highly active, and definitely need a yard for exercise. Some space between us and the neighbors would be good too. They are always indoors unless supervised, but I know that they bark when they hear something going on outside when we are not home, such as when our duplex neighbors come in and out or when the neighborhood kids scream and yell.

Also, maybe someone can comment on the overall dog-friendliness of the area. Are there good dog parks, training facilities, etc.? Particular laws and statutes that I need to know about? I am coming from out-of-state and have zero knowledge of the area.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:38 AM

48 posts, read 159,201 times
A realtor might be the most effective resource for you.
Century 21, Coldwell Banker, and RealtyUSA have rental properties as well as properties for sale. I think many property owners might say they would not allow dogs, but if you could provide evidence of your dogs being well-trained and if you came across as a competent and intelligent dog owner, you could negotiate.
There is some of that "academic year" stuff, but plenty of other non-student housing as well.

Albany's pretty dog-friendly, I think.
Info about dog parks (can't comment on how good they are): Dog Parks - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY (http://www.albanyny.org/Government/Departments/GeneralServices/Beautification/DogParks.aspx - broken link)
Albany Obedience Club is active and the instructors are friendly and capable.
Aside from poop-scooping and licensing, I don't know of any particular dog laws that you'd need to be concerned about.

Coming back to add this: Google "Albany NY rental houses"!

Last edited by Junie Moon2009; 02-13-2010 at 12:49 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 04:03 AM

8,162 posts, read 14,006,024 times
www.realtor.com which can be used for anywhere in the u.s.,then go to more options and you can add nearby towns and make a selection for properties and apartments that allow pets. Make sure you click on rent on the first screen.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:41 PM

69,543 posts, read 96,371,396 times
This might work: MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM

29 posts, read 115,494 times
Looking for a place to rent with lease to buy option in Albany, New York. I have four senior dogs who just want to live out the remainder of their lives doing their favorite things, eating, sleeping and being close to me. One occasionally may saunter after his tennis ball! LOL I'm on a fixed income, but Albany seems affordable. Thanks for any info.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM

841 posts, read 1,803,683 times
Do you have to live in Albany (city?). There are suburbs not too far away (10-20 minutes) where your dogs would be much happier (more open spaces).

Any of the northern, southern, eastern or western towns would probably offer options.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:42 PM

29 posts, read 115,494 times
Thank you so much. I will look into those places

Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM

8 posts, read 9,841 times
I may be doing the same thing at the end of the year. I see a few options on craigslist, but it seems like there are way too few given the population. If I take the job it will be at the University and I am open to a reasonable commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area