Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,189 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate my family to the Albany area. Does anyone have links to information on schools, crime, family based neighborhoods?
We are moving from an extremly rural enviroment. The ubran setting is rather overwhelming. Any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 03:35 PM

585 posts, read 2,216,975 times
Are you wanting to move to another rural area, the burbs, or in the cities? The Albany area has all 3.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:34 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,493,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waziyahtah View Post
I am looking to relocate my family to the Albany area. Does anyone have links to information on schools, crime, family based neighborhoods?
We are moving from an extremly rural enviroment. The ubran setting is rather overwhelming. Any suggestions.
There are lots of those stats right on City Data.

Do you have any particular towns in mind? For the Capital region...Schoharie County gets pretty rural.

Personally the traffic is a bit overwhelming for the size of Albany. I lived in Albany and now on Long Island...and the traffic here is not as bad as there on a regular basis. However there are a lot of quiet towns if you are willing to travel a bit.

Good luck!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,189 times
we are intrested in saratoga springs, glenn falls, and ballston spa. any insights? suggestions for rentals. at least for the 1st year

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM

585 posts, read 2,216,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waziyahtah View Post
we are intrested in saratoga springs, glenn falls, and ballston spa. any insights? suggestions for rentals. at least for the 1st year
If you don't have to commute to Albany, those are nice areas to live. All three communities have "gritty" areas but overall each one is really safe. Saratoga is the nicest of the three and by far the most expensive. Ballston Spa is a little more affordable but still expensive because of it's close proximity to Saratoga. Glens Falls is the cheapest.

Your best bet might be to just google for rentals. Craigslist is a great source too.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:29 PM

220 posts, read 522,902 times
I don't think Saratoga Springs has gritty areas, at least not compared to other cities in the region. If you're thinking of the area near the high school, I wouldn't term that as gritty--it is still far nicer than most neighborhoods in my current city and I would say it just seems rundown by comparison.

Greenfield, Stillwater, and Schuylerville are all a little more rural but still not too far from Saratoga. Most, if not all, of Greenfield falls within the Saratoga school district. I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with rentals - you may want to check out Wilton for that. My parents rented a house there when they first moved to the area and then purchased within the city a year or two later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area