U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM

554 posts, read 1,371,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyTrue View Post
I should have mentioned that my rent range is $600-$700. Thanks for any insight.
uhh how many bedrooms are you looking for? that is almost impossible to find unless youre willing to live in arbor hill or troy...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:10 PM

554 posts, read 1,371,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudeinalbany View Post
We moved here from Austin, TX, in June 2009. Love it. We live in the Hudson/Park neighborhood, a stone's throw from Empire State Plaza, and next to the posher Center Square neighborhood. Only two blocks to a supermarket and also the entertainment/restaurants on Lark Street. Midway between Washington and Lincoln Parks, both very nice. Parking is sometimes a problem. I would think you could find a rental in your price range here...blocks bordered by Swan, Hudson, Park and Lark.

There is a lot to do in Albany. Within 30 minutes to an hour you are in the Green Mountains, the Adirondacks, the Catskills, the Taconics and the Berkshires. A magnificent physical setting with many historic and picturesque buildings. Wonderful hike and bike trail for some four miles along the Hudson River. Lots of entertainment going on all the time and the admission prices are much lower than in Austin or New York City. And NYC is only 2 1/2 hours away!

I feel safe in our neighborhood and I see women walking their dogs at virtually all hours of the night on the streets near here. Of course you have to be careful as in any city these days.

They say Texas is friendly, but Albany has it beat. Very friendly people here, and a bunch of "characters" too.
I don't know what this person is smoking but I grew up 20 minutes away from Albany and then went to UofAlbany and lived right in Albany for 5 years....first of all, the downtown area is a joke. It's not kept up, its cold, there is NOTHING to do in albany except drink and the occasional "tulip fest", Albany isn't anything to write home about...and that why we call it SMALLBANY!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,597 times
Daisy,
I moved here 5 years ago, I work for the transit authority and pretty much know the entire capital district and saratoga counties, even my local friends here find new locations when they hang with me. For most of my time here, I have lived in Clifton Park... The schools and community are the best bang for your buck... albany is close, saratoga is close... its pretty much in the middle of everything, plenty of things to do (when its warm) ....

Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM

65,823 posts, read 91,703,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoricD View Post
Daisy,
I moved here 5 years ago, I work for the transit authority and pretty much know the entire capital district and saratoga counties, even my local friends here find new locations when they hang with me. For most of my time here, I have lived in Clifton Park... The schools and community are the best bang for your buck... albany is close, saratoga is close... its pretty much in the middle of everything, plenty of things to do (when its warm) ....
Or cold, like sporting events, the arts and possibly outdoorsy stuff, if you are into that.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM

724 posts, read 578,899 times
Albany is a very nice area to live in. Many people are just bitter because they want Manhattan and Albany DEFINITELY is not that! There is quite a lot to do for a city of its size. You have Lark St, the Palace, events at Empire State Plaza, the Times Union Center the summer play series at Washington Park, performances at The Massry Center for the Arts at The College of Saint Rose, the Hudson Riverfront and Corning Preserve, First Friday, etc. Even just walking around downtown looking at the architecture is a great time! In addition, the surrounding area contains Proctors in Schenectady, Thatcher Park (if the state doesn't close it), SPAC, the Saratoga racetrack, Lake George, Vermont, Mass MoCa, Tangewood and more.

Wow, I actually feel even better about living here after writing that! :-)

As for rent prices, Center Square is fairly affluent, but my partner and I are moving in April to a 2 bedroom apartment on Lancaster, about 6 houses from Lark St for $700 a month with heat included. Just look on Craigslist. There is plenty to choose from. A guide to some of the neighborhoods:

Pine Hills: Mostly a college student area, but with many families and (except for Thursday through Saturday nights) pretty quiet

Center Square: Affluent but many affordable apartments

Washington Park: Even more affordable than Center Square on the Madison side

Hudson Park: South of Center Square (other side of Madison Ave). Not as nice as Center Square but not bad, more affordable

Central Ave: Not as nice, but not all that bad and very affordable.

Park South: Experiencing a revitalization. Not expensive but prices will likely rise.

Arbor Hill, South End: Just don't move there.

We are leaving an apartment on Madison next to Empire State Plaza that rents for $650, if anyone is interested. ;-)

Old 03-15-2010, 05:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,102,498 times
hello to all. i have been doing some research on the state, and then decided to visit your forum. begging your indulgences for not knowing a great deal about most areas, but i have only been to new york city and the new york metro area, many times, but i have always arrived by flight. most of my time has been spent in the city, itself. consequently, i have never gotten to the catskill region, upstate, pokeenoes, etc. i am interested in a rural farm-like atmosphere, beauty, forests, mountains, creeks, rivers, much solitude. would upstate new york be the place for me? i love oil painting, nature, i love the performing arts, etc.; however, i don't have to go out each evening, bar hop, i have no children, therefore, schools are not important to me.

i was reared in chicago, attended school there, attended good eastern schools for undergraduate work, post graduate work in the south, and i have lived in several regions of the u.s. i love tn, particularly memphis and northwest tn. i have lived in middle tn, where i enjoyed much of the typography, but i, generally, did not like country music, the lack of cultural opportunities in nashville, and nashville in general. i want a change. a cottage setting or something similar. i know a good deal from working on my maternal grandparent's working farm. i love animals, livestock, i am a trained chef, clinical background in investigations, studied biology, music (both vocal and piano, organ.)

i could love being a caretaker for a small farm, summer home, etc. i have a good deal of american and european antiques, persian rugs, etc. that i wish to keep, consequently, i need a little more than just a room.

if any of you have fruitful recommendations and information, i would appreciate a response. i love cold weather, snow, cool nights. i am episcopalian, so i need to be near a town or village church, and i would need to be near a local food market. i will keep my vehicle. is there train service in this area into various regions of new york state and the recreation areas?

Last edited by kingchef; 03-15-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
hello to all. i have been doing some research on the state, and then decided to visit your forum. begging your indulgences for not knowing a great deal about most areas, but i have only been to new york city and the new york metro area, many times, but i have always arrived by flight. most of my time has been spent in the city, itself. consequently, i have never gotten to the catskill region, upstate, pokeenoes, etc. i am interested in a rural farm-like atmosphere, beauty, forests, mountains, creeks, rivers, much solitude. would upstate new york be the place for me? i love oil painting, nature, i love the performing arts, etc.; however, i don't have to go out each evening, bar hop, i have no children, therefore, schools are not important to me.

i was reared in chicago, attended school there, attended good eastern schools for undergraduate work, post graduate work in the south, and i have lived in several regions of the u.s. i love tn, particularly memphis and northwest tn. i have lived in middle tn, where i enjoyed much of the typography, but i, generally, did not like country music, the lack of cultural opportunities in nashville, and nashville in general. i want a change. a cottage setting or something similar. i know a good deal from working on my maternal grandparent's working farm. i love animals, livestock, i am a trained chef, clinical background in investigations, studied biology, music (both vocal and piano, organ.)

i could love being a caretaker for a small farm, summer home, etc. i have a good deal of american and european antiques, persian rugs, etc. that i wish to keep, consequently, i need a little more than just a room.

if any of you have fruitful recommendations and information, i would appreciate a response. i love cold weather, snow, cool nights. i am episcopalian, so i need to be near a town or village church, and i would need to be near a local food market. i will keep my vehicle. is there train service in this area into various regions of new york state and the recreation areas?
Maybe something close to Hudson, which is known for it's antique scene. It's not too far south of Albany. Hudson Antiques
hudson ny antique - Google Maps
Hudson does have a train station and a church that fit you faith: Christ Church Episcopal - Hudson, NY They also have a farmer's market: Hudson Farmers' Market - Home and other food markets.

You might also like Hamilton in CNY. It is close to Bouckville, which has a big antique shows: Madison-Bouckville Outdoor Antiques Show | Madison-Bouckville Management Events Hamilton is where Colgate University is located and is close to Syracuse, Utica and Rome. I believe the closest train station would be in Utica or Syracuse. They also have a church of your faith: St. Thomas' Episcopal Church - Welcome There's a farmer's market in Hamilton as well.

There probably some other towns that you would like as well.

Here's some more info. that might interest you:
Antique Shops in Upstate New York - RoundTheBend's Online Travel Guide(sm)
ILOVENY | The Official New York State Tourism Site-Home
New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation
Diocese of Albany Home
The Episcopal Diocese of Central New York
Episcopal Diocese of Western New York
Episcopal Diocese of New York

Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,102,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe something close to Hudson, which is known for it's antique scene. It's not too far south of Albany. Hudson Antiques
hudson ny antique - Google Maps
Hudson does have a train station and a church that fit you faith: Christ Church Episcopal - Hudson, NY They also have a farmer's market: Hudson Farmers' Market - Home and other food markets.

You might also like Hamilton in CNY. It is close to Bouckville, which has a big antique shows: Madison-Bouckville Outdoor Antiques Show | Madison-Bouckville Management Events Hamilton is where Colgate University is located and is close to Syracuse, Utica and Rome. I believe the closest train station would be in Utica or Syracuse. They also have a church of your faith: St. Thomas' Episcopal Church - Welcome There's a farmer's market in Hamilton as well.

There probably some other towns that you would like as well.

Here's some more info. that might interest you:
Antique Shops in Upstate New York - RoundTheBend's Online Travel Guide(sm)
ILOVENY | The Official New York State Tourism Site-Home
New York State Parks Recreation & Historic Preservation
Diocese of Albany Home
The Episcopal Diocese of Central New York
Episcopal Diocese of Western New York
Episcopal Diocese of New York

seems like i read something about hudson yesterday. thank you so much for the info. as i said, i know nothing about central and the upper state area. i am well-mannered, polite, and kind to others. i am straightforward w/ words, to the point concerning matters related to work or character, but i want and give respect. i do not like some of the pride new york citizens seem to take in being rude.

again, thank you for your help.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
seems like i read something about hudson yesterday. thank you so much for the info. as i said, i know nothing about central and the upper state area. i am well-mannered, polite, and kind to others. i am straightforward w/ words, to the point concerning matters related to work or character, but i want and give respect. i do not like some of the pride new york citizens seem to take in being rude.

again, thank you for your help.
Don't get too caught up in the supposed rudeness aspect, as Upstate is different from NYC and even that is overstated, because people mistake fast paced for rudeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area