U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 AM

104 posts, read 267,648 times

Advertisements

I have heard so much contradiction on Albany. I am curious to see what peoples opinions our. Do you feel Albany is safe? And how reasonable is the Rent? I am looking for something around $700-820/ month 1 or 2 bedroom in a good area. Also is Albany lively and have good entertainment. How is the Art scene? Any feedback appreciated Thanks- Chad
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:03 AM

10 posts, read 31,595 times
lark st is very artsy. as far as what you're willing to pay, don't plan to live in the city of albany unless you want to be in not such a nice area. i wish i could help you further...im moving up to the area myself, so i'm just passing on what i've noticed.

as far as being safe....i'm from Long Island where my previous sales territory was Brooklyn, NY (Bed-Sty, East NY, etc.). What people consider bad from Albany is like a walk in the park from what I've seen in Brooklyn. That being said, I wouldn't walk down the "bad areas" in Albany at night, simply because I'm not stupid.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,773 times
There is plenty of nice places within 15 to 20 min. from albany in your price range.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:21 AM

69,690 posts, read 96,502,564 times
Here's a list of Albany urban neighborhoods: Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY

Don't mess with Arbor Hill, West Hill and parts of the South End due to crime. You might want to look at Helderburg, Center Square, Pine Hills, Mansion and the New Albany/New Scotland/Whitehall area in terms of better urban neighborhoods.

Here's some good sites to look at too: MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent

Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?page=home - broken link)

Albany Apartments for Rent | Albany Apartment Finder

Also, if you want something with an urban feel that isn't in Albany, you can look at Schenectady, Troy and possibly even smaller communities like Cohoes, Rensselaer and Watervliet. While, Troy and Schenectady have their good and bad neighborhoods, the smaller cities are generally fine, but just have more of a blue collar feel to them.

If you want crime rates, look on the city-data website for crime rates of each of these cities.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 43,260 times
Default We like Albany

We moved here from Austin, TX, in June 2009. Love it. We live in the Hudson/Park neighborhood, a stone's throw from Empire State Plaza, and next to the posher Center Square neighborhood. Only two blocks to a supermarket and also the entertainment/restaurants on Lark Street. Midway between Washington and Lincoln Parks, both very nice. Parking is sometimes a problem. I would think you could find a rental in your price range here...blocks bordered by Swan, Hudson, Park and Lark.

There is a lot to do in Albany. Within 30 minutes to an hour you are in the Green Mountains, the Adirondacks, the Catskills, the Taconics and the Berkshires. A magnificent physical setting with many historic and picturesque buildings. Wonderful hike and bike trail for some four miles along the Hudson River. Lots of entertainment going on all the time and the admission prices are much lower than in Austin or New York City. And NYC is only 2 1/2 hours away!

I feel safe in our neighborhood and I see women walking their dogs at virtually all hours of the night on the streets near here. Of course you have to be careful as in any city these days.

They say Texas is friendly, but Albany has it beat. Very friendly people here, and a bunch of "characters" too.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 9,373 times
Default Montana to Albany

Hi, I've read many opinions on Albany and quite frankly am afraid to move to there! I accepted a job and am moving in two weeks.
Help!!on location. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,373 times
Default rental in Albany, NY

I should have mentioned that my rent range is $600-$700. Thanks for any insight.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyTrue View Post
I should have mentioned that my rent range is $600-$700. Thanks for any insight.
There is no need to be scared. Most of the area is fine for the most part. In Albany, the neighborhoods to be leery of generally are: Arbor Hill, parts of the South End and West Hill.

Just look at the guides above that I offered to Chad. That should help you find something, depending on what you require.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:19 AM

104 posts, read 267,648 times
Daisy, Do take a look at what Ck has provided. I have had many questions and CK has been quite helpful and very knowledgeable about New York and surrounding areas. I've had several questions and was very hesitant to make such a big move. I am traveling from Oregon to New York so I am sure it will be worlds apart but I can't wait to see what I have been missing.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Schultz View Post
Daisy, Do take a look at what Ck has provided. I have had many questions and CK has been quite helpful and very knowledgeable about New York and surrounding areas. I've had several questions and was very hesitant to make such a big move. I am traveling from Oregon to New York so I am sure it will be worlds apart but I can't wait to see what I have been missing.

Just keep in mind that Upstate NY is not so much like NYC in that it is more laid back and it more open in terms of landscape.

Just so you know, cities here are going to be more "diverse" than cities in Oregon and it is a state that you can easily enjoy because it isn't too big, as it is is the 30th biggest state in land size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area