U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,799 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to Albany to attend graduate school at SUNY. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on communities that would be good to live in. I have some money saved up, so we would consider purchasing a home. We would ideally love a neighborhood that is close enough to walk school (or an easy bus ride away) and also has a community vibe - maybe a couple of restaurants, bars, coffee shops in walking distance. Does any place like this exist? Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 PM

65,580 posts, read 91,393,248 times
Perhaps

Home

Center Square Association : HomePage
Lark Street BID :: Welcome

Old 03-16-2010, 12:00 PM

724 posts, read 578,217 times
Yeah definitely Center Square. There are quite a few homes for sale -- and renting is in the low-to-moderate price range anyway -- and there are 2 buses that go to SUNY uptown and 1 to SUNY downtown that pass through Washington Ave, right on the edge of the neighborhood. I currently live at the farthest corner of Center Square from these particular routes and the walk is very easy. (And honestly, the part of the neighborhood that is nicest to be in is closest to the bus line anyway. We're moving closer to it at the end of the month.) If you are at the uptown campus, you can't walk to school. It's very closed off from the rest of the community and on a 6 lane road with a 45 mph speed limit. Another great thing about Center Square is that, while parking is a pain, you really don't need a car at all. Just about every bus that you can take from Albany either passes through the neighborhood or goes by Empire State Plaza, which is at one end of the neighborhood. Enterprise car rental operates out of the Times Union Center, a very easy walk from the neighborhood.

There are other neighborhoods that offer bus access to UAlbany, but they tend to be in undergraduate college student areas, so weekends get very loud. Or they are located further from the active areas of the community. Guilderland is also close to the Uptown campus, but it is a very car-reliant community. I will be attending UAlbany for grad school next spring and I consider Center Square to be the ideal neighborhood.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:57 PM

46 posts, read 97,889 times
Definitely check out Colonie. I'm in grad school at SUNY and have been here 4 1/2 years. Colonie is safe, close to everything - a more diverse neighborhood. It has great taxes and I love our home! If you need a realtor - I know an excellent, top realtor in the area. Let me know.

Cheers!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:59 AM

724 posts, read 578,217 times
I thought the OP mentioned an easy walk or quick bus ride. I believe Colonie would qualify for neither.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 PM

50 posts, read 135,642 times
If you are looking for a more homey-feeling neighborhood, try the Heldeberg area (between New Scotland Avenue and Hackett/White Hall Road). There are a mix of houses and apartments available there. Many of my law school friends live in the area, along with many families, so there is a good mix of students and non-students. Also, you can walk to Graney's and The Fountain, which are good pubs/pizza places.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 AM

8 posts, read 13,825 times
McKnownville-Westmere area may suit you. Close to the University, shopping, interstate and a short commute to Albany downtown and outlying areas. You will need a car in this area, unless you don't mind biking or walking BUT we do not have a pedestrian friendly atmosphere on our roadways, per se. You need to alert and careful because drivers are not looking for you at most intersections.
I am not a big fan of you buying a home right away...u may not like it here long term.
If you wouldn't mind the commute, Saratoga Springs is a much better community and offers much more recreation options in town and out.
Albany is getting a bit seedy and many neighborhoods are in decline.
Saratoga is a bright spot for sure.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:00 AM

65,580 posts, read 91,393,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat08 View Post
McKnownville-Westmere area may suit you. Close to the University, shopping, interstate and a short commute to Albany downtown and outlying areas. You will need a car in this area, unless you don't mind biking or walking BUT we do not have a pedestrian friendly atmosphere on our roadways, per se. You need to alert and careful because drivers are not looking for you at most intersections.
I am not a big fan of you buying a home right away...u may not like it here long term.
If you wouldn't mind the commute, Saratoga Springs is a much better community and offers much more recreation options in town and out.
Albany is getting a bit seedy and many neighborhoods are in decline.
Saratoga is a bright spot for sure.
Saratoga Springs is a bit too far from SUNY-Albany and there are parts of the city of Albany that are fine too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area