U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,136 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
We are planning a move to the Albany area early next year. I am looking for a good school district that would also be special-needs friendly.
We would ideally like a 15-20 minute commute into Albany, so I am looking at the communities of Guilderland, Altamont, Delmar, Bethlehem, South Colonie, etc.
Does anyone have any experience with these school districts? Are there any others you would recommend?

Thanks for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 AM

267 posts, read 890,735 times
I keep reading your tread wishing I knew an answer, but I don't. Maybe if you are more specific with what your childs special needs are, maybe someone can help. I personally would want to speak to families in those districts who also have children w/similiar issues. Those are all great school districts. But I will tell you this from my experience, and this is coming from a very narrow perspective, so take it for what it's worth. At Niskayuna also a great district, I was an A/B student, caused no problems and I did very well there. My sister on the other hand was learning disabled and was more of a trouble maker. When things arose whether it was she was needing extra services or she was in trouble the school didn't handle it very well. Granted that was quite a while ago. But more recently I've heard from a friend who is a teacher in the Nisky district that they were NOT identifying children w/issues because they didn't want the districts special needs numbers to go up. According to the teacher it makes the district look "bad" to prospective families. My neighbor has a son w/aspergers and she switched him to a different school that has a program for aspergers. It seems that it's not well known what schools have programs for the various special needs. I guess a lot of research is in order........So I'd make sure that the district you choose is welcoming and willing to work w/whatever issues your family has. I would think that maybe the PTOs at the various school might be able to put you in contact w/some families. The other thought I had that might help is if you look into support groups in this area and find out from those people what schools their kids go to, that might help w/your decision.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area